Help a Gal new to reloading and LR shooting

Victoria, great photos! Congratulations! Thanks for being a hunter and encourage more women to join you. Women are the future of our sport and a vanguard for protecting the 2 amendment. We need you!
To the subject at hand--I'd suggest go online to Midway or visit Cabela's to price the starter kits. All the brands are good but I think RCBS has the most user friendly hardware and great customer support. Go with the RCBS supreme startup kit and it will have nearly everything you need to start at a good savings over purchasing the individual items separately. I'd avoid the multi-stage presses at this point until you get a handle on process and technique. Of course get a couple of manuals, I like Nosler, Sierra, Barnes, Berger, Hornady to compare. I 've been loving the Aliant RL series powder lately so I got a copy of their manual as well. In that 6.5 bore I like that RL powder for the heavy bullets. Also you might get a reloading software program, they are fun--I have Blackwell's "Load from a Disk" and Quickload". RCBS has a great video on the basics from A-Z called "Precisioneered Reloading" and its very well done. If you're serious about reloading and working loads for custom rifles, you'll need a chronograph--I use the Caldwell Precision G2 version that Bluetooths to my iPhone and does all the calculations for me and saves the data...very handy. One last tip that will save you a ton of headaches, get new Lapua brass, Nosler Custom or Hornady Custom and that will save all the case prep you need to do with fired brass. You'll get about three loads from the new brass before you need to do the trimming, chamfer, deburr, flash hole cleaning primer pocket cleaning etc. After 40 years of reloading, I finally splashed out for the RCBS mechanical case prep center and the digital powder throw--I wish I'd have done that a long time ago. We can chat for days about stuff and process, but get the kit, read the manuals and review the videos, use the process in the books and you'll be fine. Good luck with the 6.5 SAUM...send pix when it comes in.

All my thunder has been stolen except to say it's good to have you in the Sport, bring friends and welcome to the rewarding hobby of reloading.

The reloading rabbit hole is deep and can get very expensive. I have a few questions:
1. How many rounds do you intend to shoot a year?
2. What cartridges?
3. What kind of shooting (hunting, hunting practice, 1000 yard benchrest, etc.)?
4. What is more important to you; saving time or money?

Once we know this we can better tailor our advice.
Great questions! Thanks for asking and offering advice.
So I anticipate shooting several hundred rounds per year, maybe more. No competition. Just for practice and to get ready for what my next hunting adventure might be. I just order a GA Precision 6.5 SAUM. So I will load for that. I also will load for my 270WSM. I have been shooting to 800 yards regularly this last year, and will likely continue that shooting. From the bench. Also prone to practice for hunting. Doing it right is most important. I cant find a way to spare time and I can make more money.

Thanks again!

Victoria, great photos! Congratulations! Thanks for being a hunter and encourage more women to join you. Women are the future of our sport and a vanguard for protecting the 2 amendment. We need you!
To the subject at hand--I'd suggest go online to Midway or visit Cabela's to price the starter kits. All the brands are good but I think RCBS has the most user friendly hardware and great customer support. Go with the RCBS supreme startup kit and it will have nearly everything you need to start at a good savings over purchasing the individual items separately. I'd avoid the multi-stage presses at this point until you get a handle on process and technique. Of course get a couple of manuals, I like Nosler, Sierra, Barnes, Berger, Hornady to compare. I 've been loving the Aliant RL series powder lately so I got a copy of their manual as well. In that 6.5 bore I like that RL powder for the heavy bullets. Also you might get a reloading software program, they are fun--I have Blackwell's "Load from a Disk" and Quickload". RCBS has a great video on the basics from A-Z called "Precisioneered Reloading" and its very well done. If you're serious about reloading and working loads for custom rifles, you'll need a chronograph--I use the Caldwell Precision G2 version that Bluetooths to my iPhone and does all the calculations for me and saves the data...very handy. One last tip that will save you a ton of headaches, get new Lapua brass, Nosler Custom or Hornady Custom and that will save all the case prep you need to do with fired brass. You'll get about three loads from the new brass before you need to do the trimming, chamfer, deburr, flash hole cleaning primer pocket cleaning etc. After 40 years of reloading, I finally splashed out for the RCBS mechanical case prep center and the digital powder throw--I wish I'd have done that a long time ago. We can chat for days about stuff and process, but get the kit, read the manuals and review the videos, use the process in the books and you'll be fine. Good luck with the 6.5 SAUM...send pix when it comes in.

Thank you! I love our sport and take many women hunting every year. I was luck enough to have a father that taught and encourage me to love the outdoors. I appreciate the advice. I am a bit of a nerd, I love details and intricacies. I built my own computer, so I think that reloading and the attention to detail will be right up my alley.

Pics will definitely follow when the rifle gets in. THanks for the advice. V

Welcome to the rabbit hole, you will find that there are many branches down here.
Nice elk, photos, time and shooting skills.
I read everything prior, all the answers are great and helpful.
My only advice is to collect data. Be careful and precise, put everything in a data base/spreadsheet. You will also need to have data for temperatures, GPS locations, altitude, direction of bullet travel. After a bit of reloading you will learn what your rifle likes. Powder, primer, bullet, overall length, bullet to rifling distance and all the rest. And the rabbit hole gets deeper and more fun to travel.
And when reloading keep the distractions at bay. If interrupted set the cartridge aside and recheck/measure before letting it progress.
Be safe, have fun, and eat well.

Welcome to the rabbit hole, you will find that there are many branches down here.
Nice elk, photos, time and shooting skills.
I read everything prior, all the answers are great and helpful.
My only advice is to collect data. Be careful and precise, put everything in a data base/spreadsheet. You will also need to have data for temperatures, GPS locations, altitude, direction of bullet travel. After a bit of reloading you will learn what your rifle likes. Powder, primer, bullet, overall length, bullet to rifling distance and all the rest. And the rabbit hole gets deeper and more fun to travel.
And when reloading keep the distractions at bay. If interrupted set the cartridge aside and recheck/measure before letting it progress.
Be safe, have fun, and eat well.
Great advice.. much appreciated.

Great questions! Thanks for asking and offering advice.
So I anticipate shooting several hundred rounds per year, maybe more. No competition. Just for practice and to get ready for what my next hunting adventure might be. I just order a GA Precision 6.5 SAUM. So I will load for that. I also will load for my 270WSM. I have been shooting to 800 yards regularly this last year, and will likely continue that shooting. From the bench. Also prone to practice for hunting. Doing it right is most important. I cant find a way to spare time and I can make more money.

Thanks again!
Based upon your responses here is my general advice building upon all the other great advice in this thread:

1. Buy the book "Top Grade Ammo" by Glen Zediker. He covers a lot of reloading ground as well as tool selection. Take a reloading class if you can. However, always doubt anything somebody else tells you. Look for multiple data sources. Always ask yourself "how do I know this" and "how can I prove it"? Always be on the lookout for more data sources.
2. A Dillon 550C will make ammo that is just as good as any single stage but to do so will cost you at least triple what a good single stage (Forster CoAx) will. I started with a Forster but went to Dillon and won't go back. The extra speed was worth it to me.
3. Don't cheap out on measuring tools. Buy Mitotoyo or Starrett calipers. If your measurements aren't good your wasting time and money. Buy a chronograph, Magnetospeed or LabRadar.
4. Buy an automatic powder dispenser. My RCBS Chargemaster Lite is nearly as accurate as throwing by hand (usually within.1gr or less with a very rare .2gr). Get a reducing insert to dramatically reduce overthrows with stick powder.
5. Buy a good balance beam scale. Use it to make sure your powder thrower is working as expected. A second source of truth when dealing with powder is necessary.
6. Create a reloading work flow chart. The goal is to create a process that makes it as hard to screw up as possible. You are now playing with things that go boom, your reloading life needs to revolve around safety.
7. Always keep your goal in mind. You are building hunting ammo. You aren't trying to get every last ounce of speed out of your ammo, your one true God is consistency.
8. Black Friday is coming, make a shopping list and get ready.

Welcome to the reloading rabbit hole. I hope your stay is lifelong and wonderful.

Great pics of it all. Who makes your chest rig for your auto. Been looking for one for my lar 1911.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.