Reloading and Accuracy HELP

Bigeclipse

Ok guys, I know reloading and accuracy has LOTS of details and can almost be considered an art/science. I just started reloading for accuracy and cost savings. What I am asking here is how much does bullet weight affect accuracy? For example, I am currently reloading for my 300WSM and 3006. My goal is to get sub 1MOA loads. I know you guys strive for MUCH better accuracy than 1moa but thats all I need shooting less than 500 yards here for now :)
SO, I have decided I am going to try nosler accubonds first. I was thinking about going with 165 or 180s or both for the 3006 and 300wsm. My question is, how much could the accuracy change between these bullet weights in the same bullet using similar or the same type powders? Could you work up a load say for the 180grainer get sub 1moa accuracy but then try to work up a load for 165 grains and not come close to sub 1 MOA or could you expect a similar result? I want to shoot 165s in my 3006 and 180s in my 300WSM but if accuracy can be a factor here then I wont mind trying both weights in both rifles...again My goal is simply SUB 1MOA...am i being realistic here?

My question is, how much could the accuracy change between these bullet weights in the same bullet using similar or the same type powders?
A lot.
Could you work up a load say for the 180grainer get sub 1moa accuracy but then try to work up a load for 165 grains and not come close to sub 1 MOA
Yes

I want to shoot 165s in my 3006 and 180s in my 300WSM but if accuracy can be a factor here then I wont mind trying both weights in both rifles...again My goal is simply SUB 1MOA...am i being realistic here?

Yes and No. Yes 165gr bullets can be good in the 30-06 and 180gr in the 300WSM. But No is the sense that there is no way to tell how bad or good a given rifle will shot a projectile powder combination without actually shooting those loads.

What rifles are you shooting?

A lot.

Yes

Yes and No. Yes 165gr bullets can be good in the 30-06 and 180gr in the 300WSM. But No is the sense that there is no way to tell how bad or good a given rifle will shot a projectile powder combination without actually shooting those loads.

What rifles are you shooting?

The 300WSM is a browning X-bolt hunter and the 3006 is a remington mountain SS with the bell and carlson stock. Both shoot right around 1MOA with specific factory ammo (I found the 300wsm Browning likes federal fusions 165 and the remington mountain 3006 likes 165 core lokts). I have not worked up ANY loads yet. The browning shot almost all factory loads at 2MOA or better and I tried a lot 150,165 and 180 grains in multiple brands. The remington Mountain I only tried two factory loads...Nosler accubonds which shot 1.25MOA and core lokts which shot .75MOA on a good day but around 1MOA on average. Since the corelokts were shooting fine I did not look for any other ammo. I am now want to start reloading and of course my number one concern is accuracy again 1MOA is my goal for now.

The reason for reloading is I would like to use better bullets(at cheaper costs) than fusions and core lokts but the factory loads for the 300WSM in premium ammo was not working out. plus reloading will be a new hobby for me haha. Again I was only able to get 1.5-2MOA with things like federal triple shock which is not acceptable for me. The ONLY factory load that shot well was the 165 fusions which were right at 1MOA maybe a bit better. If I can load a premium bullet like a accubond/partition or TSX at 1MOA accuracy I would be ecstatic :) I would like to keep costs down but if I have to buy multiple bullets weights and powders to achieve 1MOA so be it.

The only way to know for sure is to try them. Every rifle is different and you won't know what yours likes until you load them up and shoot them.

Thanks for the replies...

One more question...I understand everything can affect accuracy...bullet depth, powder load/powder it self, primers etc... how much do primers effect accuracy?
For example...
lets say I work up a load using brand "X" primer and get .75MOA on average.
If I use a similar primer(same large magnum primer) but different brand...how much could the accuracy change? Are we talking small amounts which may matter to the competitive marksmen but to me it wont...like .75 MOA to say .9MOA or could it be a large effect like bring a .75 MOA load to above 1MOA?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.