Help a Gal new to reloading and LR shooting

I also use rcbs. Redding and hornady make decent presses too. I am not a fan of lee stuff, they are cheap for a reason.....they make ammo that goes bang, but for precision stuff look elsewhere.

If you can afford it don't skimp on things, if your seriously wanting to get into this long range stuff, its better to start out with good stuff. I have been doing this since I was young and obviously didn't have much money. Pretty much been spending years replacing most of my equipment with better stuff aside from a few things.

Research EVERYTHING before you purchase. Your rifle is going to be fantastic, and will likely make load developement easy on you. If you want to use it for elk, I would look at going with the Berger 156's, and if you decide to go that rout, talk to GA precision and tell them about it, they may need to do a couple things different. While an 8 twist works for them, a 7.5 twist is better, throating may need to bd a little different, and if it's on a short action they may need to extend the mag box if possible.

The reason for the 156 is a higher sectional density and overall more weight. Another good reason to go with a 7 or 7.5 twist, is if for some reason you dont like how the bullets you choose perform, you could try Hammer bullets. Not as high of ballistic coefficient, but the trade off is very consistent and effective on game performance, this is important when using a 6.5 cal on elk.

Went off on a tangent but I have been using a .260 AI for elk for several years, and I personally load the 156 Berger is everything 6.5 I use on elk.

Nice pics.

Been reloading rifle/pistol for a long time. Got a Rockchucker kit way back when and still use numerous tools in the kit. It's a good value even if you upgrade certain tools later on. I will say that I very much favor the RCBS Chargemaster electronic powder scale and pretty much any multi-stage electronic case-prep station (I use RCBS but still use a hand tool to chamfer the case mouths). That said, IMO, there's an advantage to not having the most high-end equipment when undertaking a new skill. I'm still a fan of getting a basic kit and tasking through your first several hundred loads, slow and steady and upgrade your tools one piece at a time because each new tool will have it's own characteristics that will take a bit of time to learn.

And please don't take anything I said as condescending. You obviously can outshoot me already. There are lots of folks out there lurking and itching to dip their toes in the water. My post was as much for them as anything. Have fun!

I've tried most and my current set up is..
Reloading Manuals (Berger, Hornady, Nosler online)
RCBS Rockchucker Press
Hornady lock n load die bushings
Lee Universal decapping die
Redding Type S FL sizing die
Forster Ultra Micrometer seater die
Best brass you can get (Lapua, Norma, Nosler)
Buy bullets and powder with matching lot#s
Frankford Arsenal brass prep center
RCBS hand primer tool
RCBS shell holders/Redding competition shell holders
RCBS/Lyman tumbler

Spend some time watching Sam's excellent reloading videos on panhandle precision.

congrats on your bull and excellent rifle.

+1 for finding a mentor to help you out. However I will advise that you take said mentors help along with a strong dose of reading from manuals and caution. I had an early mentor that liked to "push the limits" and do a lot of "outside the book" powder use. He also didn't understand the importance of trimming, lol. Caution and safety come first. You are gonna get lots of equipment recommendations. I just wanna mention that the Forster Case trimmer is a great option. We found it was much better at keeping things square and consistent than the RCBS trimmer. Have fun!

Lee decapping die. Look for a cheap press at a yard sale just for this procedure. It can be any brand of press that has a 7/8x14 thread
When I purchased my Lyman orange crusher the difference from the RCBS Rock chucker was 32.00 for the lyman and 38.00 for the RCBS so it's been a few weeks since I purchased it.
I had a 502 scale that had been my scale for 25years before I purchased a 505 because my wife lost the pan for it. I shot short range benchrest, XTC and some Silhouette with that scale. I never felt it was a weak link in my loading. Slow yes but very accurate.
I have the same rcbs lube pad I bought 40+ years ago
I have used rcbs dies for every precision rifle I have owned. Bushing dies from Redding are very good as are others.
If I was going to shoot true precision type events I would look hard at Fostner and their custom honing of the neck of their sizing die. But that is advanced and not needed until your outshooting what your equipment is capable of.
Case prep station rcbs or lyman powered units reduce time.
Leave the phone in airplane mode when loading. Nothing should be going on when you load but that process. Your setting off an explosion with 50-65000 psi 6" from your hatrack. Forget a powder charge and you ruin a range day or hunt for the day. Put the wrong powder or wrong amount in and it could cause life altering results!!!
Books start here:

The Book of Rifle Accuracy

by Tony Boyer

ISBN-13: 978-0-9792528-0-8

Sinclair part #: 749-013-037

Bruno Shooter Supply 623-587-7641

Great Elk and it sounds like you got all you wanted from the hunt. That is what it is all about the enjoyment you get out of the hunt.
As for reloading I started with a Lee kit and produced a lot of good reloads. as time went on I upgraded things including yhe press and I must say accuracy improved but not as much as one would think. There has been a lot of advice here and it is all good but remember you don't need to break the bank to produce good reloads. The RCBS Rock Chucker press is hard to beat and will last a life time. A good balance beam scale is a must as the old way is still the most reliable way to measure. It will also not leave you wondering is it still reading right every time. The rest of the equiptment as mentioned you can find second hand except maybe dies for the cartridge you have chosen. Good luck and I hope you enjoy reloading as much as I so.

+2 on finding a mentor. Learn what he does, then seek another, rare 2 people do exactly the same things. The more you shoot, the more people you meet and it becomes easier.
Use thought on your purchases, we all upgrade, it is a way of life, even in the last 5 yrs I have postponed buying what I use today, just money and time wasted.
Most anyone can load suitable ammo that shoots at 100 yards with new components for 2 firings, getting things to hold at distance and consistently the more you prep brass becomes more time consuming.

Ok, so please forgive my newness and lack of knowledge. I have been lurking on this site for a long time and I have enjoyed gleaning information from so many of you. Long time waterfowler here, turned into a rifle hunter the last few years. I just finished an amazing backcountry elk hunt in the Washakie Wilderness in Wyoming that took everything I had. I was lucky enough to tag a 6x6 at 440 yards with a customized Tikka T3 in 270 WSM using a 150 grain ABLR. Amazing hunt.. and has me pining for more.

So when I got home, I ordered a GA Precision 6.5 SAUM. I've shot one a few times and loved it. I intend to reload the ammo, but I am a total novice. I have reloaded thousands and thousands of rounds of shotgun, but this rifle stuff is completely different. I want to make sure I buy the right reloading gear off the bat, so I am not having to buy again down the road. Any recommendations on a reloading press and the associated accoutrements are much appreciated. I figure many of you have determined what works and what doesn't at this point. So please, share a list of Gear I need to purchase. This will be my winter project until my rifle arrives in early spring. I appreciate it! Best, V

P.S. Photos are from my most recent elk hunt! Thanks for looking and any advice you can give.
View attachment 155294 View attachment 155290 View attachment 155291 View attachment 155292
Most important: reloading manuals - I have most of them and particularly like Hornady and Lyman. All the basics are covered. Google "reloading presses" - there are good comparative tests; I think the RCBS was near the top in one of the tests. Just buy basics to begin and then see what you might want to add after loading and shooting some ammo for a year or two.

The reloading rabbit hole is deep and can get very expensive. I have a few questions:
1. How many rounds do you intend to shoot a year?
2. What cartridges?
3. What kind of shooting (hunting, hunting practice, 1000 yard benchrest, etc.)?
4. What is more important to you; saving time or money?

Once we know this we can better tailor our advice.

Victoria, great photos! Congratulations! Thanks for being a hunter and encourage more women to join you. Women are the future of our sport and a vanguard for protecting the 2 amendment. We need you!
To the subject at hand--I'd suggest go online to Midway or visit Cabela's to price the starter kits. All the brands are good but I think RCBS has the most user friendly hardware and great customer support. Go with the RCBS supreme startup kit and it will have nearly everything you need to start at a good savings over purchasing the individual items separately. I'd avoid the multi-stage presses at this point until you get a handle on process and technique. Of course get a couple of manuals, I like Nosler, Sierra, Barnes, Berger, Hornady to compare. I 've been loving the Aliant RL series powder lately so I got a copy of their manual as well. In that 6.5 bore I like that RL powder for the heavy bullets. Also you might get a reloading software program, they are fun--I have Blackwell's "Load from a Disk" and Quickload". RCBS has a great video on the basics from A-Z called "Precisioneered Reloading" and its very well done. If you're serious about reloading and working loads for custom rifles, you'll need a chronograph--I use the Caldwell Precision G2 version that Bluetooths to my iPhone and does all the calculations for me and saves the data...very handy. One last tip that will save you a ton of headaches, get new Lapua brass, Nosler Custom or Hornady Custom and that will save all the case prep you need to do with fired brass. You'll get about three loads from the new brass before you need to do the trimming, chamfer, deburr, flash hole cleaning primer pocket cleaning etc. After 40 years of reloading, I finally splashed out for the RCBS mechanical case prep center and the digital powder throw--I wish I'd have done that a long time ago. We can chat for days about stuff and process, but get the kit, read the manuals and review the videos, use the process in the books and you'll be fine. Good luck with the 6.5 SAUM...send pix when it comes in.

1st and foremost..A good reloading manual..no matter who's. Sierra, Hornady, Berger...best to buy one that is the manufacturer of the bullets you want to utilize. Most all will have some info on the internet for reference...powder makers also. Then READ...READ it ALL cover to cover in the preface about reloading. Then research can be done for the twist needed to make the bullet weight desired stabilize properly.

As far as a press go's I utilize a Forster Co-Ax. It's a little bit more than a RCBS rock chucker, of which I used for 30 or so years, but I find I really like the set up. No screwing in the die every time you want to reload. Set it up once and start working....need to switch dies...just do it. If your other die is set ya just slip it in and away you go, no base to buy either. It's true they recommend you using their rings in lieu of the ones that come with the die, Forsters' are aluminum...the others are steel. They explain why with the set. In al reality...a single stage is best, imo, to start out with.

Dies...almost any die will give good service. I like the Redding 3 die sets. Full sizing or neck sizing die and a micrometer adjustable seating die in the set.

A good quality caliper. I like digital but some don't..your choice of course.

Good set of bullet comparators, I utilize Hornady but any QUALITY manufacturer is good.

An overall bullet length gauge...of good quality..use every time you change a bullet weight, type.

A modified cartridge case...some make their own..some buy them You tube is your friend if you decide to make yours.

A Good beam scale..A auto throw dispenser is quicker and usually has a trickler mode. I still use a beam to check my loads every 1st run of a weight and every time I change powders or caliber.

Champhering / deburring tool, primer pocket cleaning brush, neck cleaning brush, sizing lube and pad if your using one that requires it.

Good quality brass, at the least a vibratory tumbler with walnut or corncob grit.

At the least a bullet puller...hammer type works well...dies are better..your choice.

A chronograph to record bullet speed, Sd, Es and average velocity. IF you want consistency in your handloads at a speed that optimizes your bullets potential.

This should help get you started

Victoria, great photos! Congratulations! Thanks for being a hunter and encourage more women to join you. Women are the future of our sport and a vanguard for protecting the 2 amendment. We need you!
To the subject at hand--I'd suggest go online to Midway or visit Cabela's to price the starter kits. All the brands are good but I think RCBS has the most user friendly hardware and great customer support. Go with the RCBS supreme startup kit and it will have nearly everything you need to start at a good savings over purchasing the individual items separately. I'd avoid the multi-stage presses at this point until you get a handle on process and technique. Of course get a couple of manuals, I like Nosler, Sierra, Barnes, Berger, Hornady to compare. I 've been loving the Aliant RL series powder lately so I got a copy of their manual as well. In that 6.5 bore I like that RL powder for the heavy bullets. Also you might get a reloading software program, they are fun--I have Blackwell's "Load from a Disk" and Quickload". RCBS has a great video on the basics from A-Z called "Precisioneered Reloading" and its very well done. If you're serious about reloading and working loads for custom rifles, you'll need a chronograph--I use the Caldwell Precision G2 version that Bluetooths to my iPhone and does all the calculations for me and saves the data...very handy. One last tip that will save you a ton of headaches, get new Lapua brass, Nosler Custom or Hornady Custom and that will save all the case prep you need to do with fired brass. You'll get about three loads from the new brass before you need to do the trimming, chamfer, deburr, flash hole cleaning primer pocket cleaning etc. After 40 years of reloading, I finally splashed out for the RCBS mechanical case prep center and the digital powder throw--I wish I'd have done that a long time ago. We can chat for days about stuff and process, but get the kit, read the manuals and review the videos, use the process in the books and you'll be fine. Good luck with the 6.5 SAUM...send pix when it comes in.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.