Hells Canyon Speed or LR

PoppaW

my LGS has the HC speed in stock and they have it in 26Nosler. This will be a hunting rifle not target but was wondering if the Long Range version with the heavier barrel might be more accurate. I have no Xbolt experience so any input would be great.
On a side note the LR versions are more money and I have a $100 gift certificate for my LGS. That make me lean toward the Speed version a bit but would get the LR if they are much more accurate. Thanks

I have the HC speed in 6.5 cm. Pretty darn accurate. 3 shot groups of 1/2" or less are common. It has been very easy to tune and reload for. I have the stainless stalker in .308 and it took me a good while to find the sweet spot on it, but shoots real good once I found it. With that said I have no experience with the long range version.

Don't know that the long range will be any more accurate but it weighs 1 pound more.
If you get either one you might want to replace the trigger spring which will reduce the pull from about 4 lbs to 2.5 lbs. That will probably make a bigger difference in accuracy.
M-Carbo X bolt trigger spring they have a video on their site that shows installation.

If it's a pure hunting rifle go for the speed. I have a speed and a LR McMillan version, both awesome but the speed is so nice to carry around.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Kind of reassures me of what I was thinking. The speed is not for shooting a hundred rounds a day. Just one. Lighter would be better to carry and the 26Nosler won't kick anyway. Especially with a brake.

I know you said it's strictly a hunting rifle, so as long as you don't shoot more than a couple shots before letting it completely cool, and you only shoot a box or 2 of ammo per year you should be fine, but I just want to give you a heads-up incase you were not aware... The .26 Nosler has a VERY short accurate barrel life, approx 500-600 shots, before it starts showing signs of degrading accuracy.

Not trying to dissuade, just trying to inform.

So is it worse barrel life than a 257wby? I have never shot a gun more than about 100 per year. Lots of guns to shoot so I don't pick on only one. But if it was fun enough then a guy could rebarrel. Always an option.

That I don't know, I never got that far with my .257 Wby... The barrel started caving in around 75 rounds (manufacturer's defect) and was shooting 2-3 MOA by 200-250 rounds, so I called it done, and stuffed it in the safe for a few years, and I won't go into the rest of the story. But, I think most .257 Wby's run around 1,000-1,200 rounds of accurate barrel life.

Like I said, if that's a cartridge you want, go for it. I wasn't trying to dissuade you from purchasing one, I have just seen a lot of folks talking about them and not realizing just how short of a barrel life it will have. That was one of the few things Nosler purposely left out of their advertisements, because it's hard to justify a cartridge with that short of a barrel life to the general public, no matter how impressive the ballistics are.

I have read where the 26 is getting a lot longer barrel life than was initially expected.
I have a custom rifle in 28 Nosler. Factory loads with 160 grain accubonds at 3300 fps.
So the 28 is an option for a combo Deer, Elk, Moose with a longer barrel life that the 26.
I say buy the one you want and if you ever shoot out the barrel, get a new barrel and you could even change caliber to the 28 or 300WSM. 270 WSM etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.