Browning Hells Canyon LR

Elkeater

does anyone have a browning x bolt hell's canyon long range? Not the McMillian stocked model just the one with the heavy sporter barrel. Wondering what you all think of it.

I'm thinking about one in .300 WM. I've got some hard hunts coming next fall and I'm thinking about lightning up my long range gun. I have a Remington 700 5R but at 13.5 lbs it's hefty.

I don't have the Hell's Canyon, but both my X-Bolts (.280 Rem) are very, very accurate and a joy to carry.

Don't have that exact model, but I do have a HC speed and a HC McMillan, both are awesome rifles. The HC LR kind of splits the difference between those two. If I could only have one off the shelf hunting rifle, the HC LR would be a great choice.

Anything bad about the mag length?Was kinda hoping to shoot 181 hammer hunters so not being limited to 3.340" is a must.

My 7 rm stalker LR xbolt mag allows for 3.600" loading, I like it
The rifle seems a bit picky on ammo, but I'm just starting off with it si I hope I can get it dialed in.

The new LR models have a faster twist rate, last years models have the std browning twist rates. There are still 2017 models out there so if you want the faster twist rate make sure you get the 2018 model.

The biggest complaint about the Browning is the trigger isn't as good as some others. But I think the one on my 7RM is fine. More like what you are used to shooting. I don't want a target trigger on a hunting rifle when my heart is pounding just before I pull the trigger.

The biggest complaint about the Browning is the trigger isn't as good as some others. But I think the one on my 7RM is fine. More like what you are used to shooting. I don't want a target trigger on a hunting rifle when my heart is pounding just before I pull the trigger.
you can change out the spring for an M-carbo spring, or Timney makes a fully adjustable one now for the x-bolt

I have a LH Browning Hell's Canyon McMillan in 6.5 Creed. I had two issues with the rifle which were easily remedied.

1. The trigger was ok but I wanted something better in a LR rifle. I put in a Timney and am satisfied with it. I would have installed a better trigger but the Timney is the only one I could find. When the Timney is installed, the bolt release button is no longer functional.
2. The brake is fake IMO. It is a hollow tube with radial holes and a grossly oversized exit hole. Mine was large enough to shoot 338s through. I put a contoured matched Vais brake on it even though a 6.5 Creed doesn't need a brake at all.

With those two issues taken care of I started load development. I ended up shooting Berger 135gr Classic Hunter bullets over 47.0 RE26 in Lapua cases. This load is shooting into 1.25" at 400 yds. Not bad for an almost totally stock rifle.

I put the Mcarbo spring kits in both my X-Bolts and it made a world of difference. Neither triggers were bad for hunting rifles, but I like 2.5-2.75 lbs and they both meet that now.
Neither rifle is picky and both will shoot .5" groups handily... but they are .280s.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.