Build custom weatherby mk.v or buy Browning hells canyon lr

All right, so I have been tossing this sound for a few weeks now.... I want a .300 mag (either win or Roy, as I all ready have both) for 1k + deer and elk. My wife and I both have x-bolts in .300win (both rmef hunters) and another x-bolt in the 270wsm hc speed and am very impressed with the out of the box accuracy of them. I also have my grandfather's 1959 German mk.v in .300wby (that I haven't shot in over ten years) and have over 300 PC's of new and once fired factory wby brass. So the question is this, am I better off selling the wby since I never shoot it and put that money towards a HC McMillan or build off of the month.v? Cost is an issue. Either way I am going to sell some other guns to fund the project. Also leaning heavily on NF nxs 5.5-22 moar for optics. Thoughts?

If I were to build of off of it who is good at mk.v's? I was thinking a 26-28" stainless #3 fluted barrel and have everything cerakoted.

I agree don't sell the rifle. I have a mark v and took the action for a donor. I had Bob hart do mine. The end result is still one of my favorite rifles. I had it built in the craze when barrels where never available so it took a bit longer than it should ah e which resulted in me being charged twice. Bob personally took care of it and also was very helpful in getting it dialed in. He is very good with the mark actions.

What did it wind up costing if you don't mind me asking? Does the mk.v need to be trued or are they normally good to go? What about the lugs? I can only imagine the pain of have nine to do.

Why not do some ladder testing with the mk V? That may be a 12tw but that was a Kreiger button rifle barrel. If your out west it may still work with the 215 berger. Montanamarine used a 22" 308 @ 2600fps and shot it to 1800yds with the berger. I think he was using a DA of 4300' I'll look for the thread and post it. The Mk V is usually straight enough for fine accuracy right out of the wrapper. I'd leave that alone myself. You will kick yourself when it's gone and you will get low wholesale vs what it is really worth.

Yeah, I'm not much on weatherbys myself. I haven't shot this rifle in over ten years. I have no sentimental attachment to it so it my just go down the road.

Man I have some much better rifles than the hells canyon and I'd take my Roy over that anyday. They can shoot great and the actions are great. They need a trigger but other than that they are very good. If no attachment then yes maybe the hells canyon is a easier and better route for you but I'd prefer to do the Roy get the twist and length barrel you want.

Call Kirby Allen in Montana , I'd rebarrel it if it was mine, & you said you've got a bunch of Brownings already ! Kirby won't stear you Wrong , cheers !

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.