Helicopter hunting hogs down side

Discussion in 'Hog Hunting' started by J E Custom, Nov 6, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. GunHawk

GunHawk Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

Nice work!

dartem and Eat Rice like this.
  2. sturner

sturner Well-Known Member

They have ruined acres and acres of our hay fields in East Texas had to turn them into grazing pastures but even then it’s ruff as hell to maintain

Buck1970 likes this.
  3. rangerwade

rangerwade Active Member

One of the ranches I hunt hogs at is near Mathis Tx, 25 miles North of Corpus. 2500 acre cattle farm, running 2-300 head..Witnessed feral hogs turn 40 acre grazing pasture into, what the rancher called a mortar field. Rooted craters 1-3ft across and up to 30"deep. Could not drive tractor across pasture for couple months to let erosion reduce those craters so he could blade and replant. Not to mention over the years he has lost livestock to injury in these type of pastures. Over a 15yr time span We have taken over 700 pigs on this ranch and finally started to see decline in nocturnal behavior.

4. Tree Farmer

Tree Farmer Well-Known Member

All this talk about adverse economic impact and irrational solutions to obvious problems has me confused. Are we talking about hogs or liberals?

Bob Wright likes this.
  5. sturner

sturner Well-Known Member

Sus scrofa

GunHawk likes this.
  6. KyCarl

KyCarl Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

The ones I shot in Florida were eating citrus as high as they could stand on their hind legs..Ring around the tree. But the guy who's place we were on was worried more about "Greening" some blight or something? Those pigs run all over unchecked Who knows where?

7. Shootin4fun

Shootin4fun Well-Known Member

Right, I’ve lived in Texas for a few years now, and when I arrived I was excited to go hog hunting. Then I found out practically the whole state is privately owned and the “hog problem” is a huge commercial endeavor. I do understand it’s a real problem but then why charge $600 which a lot of people can’t afford for people to come and shoot them? I think it’s totally reasonable to take a fee for letting someone hunt an invasive species on your land, but then setting up a website with videos, hyping the hog numbers, charging a lot then complaining about a hog problem seems a little hollow. If they’re such a problem, I would think they’d want to charge less so more hunters can afford it and subsequently see more hogs go bye bye. Actually in most other situations, people have to PAY to have their problem pests eradicated. Anyhoo, I’d pay a courtesy fee to get on someone’s land and kill their hogs but I don’t see anyone online with offers like that. Only commercial operations seeking to maximize their profit, which is of course their right to do.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    dartem, Bob Wright and Buck1970 like this.
  8. KyCarl

KyCarl Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

Like high fence operations that sell ginormas bucks by the inch. It's not my thing
    but it doesn't bother me. What ever the market will bear is what they will charge.
    How can any of us that have changed jobs for more money say anything?
    I choose to not support such things financially that's all.

Bob Wright likes this.
  9. Buck1970

Buck1970 Active Member

I agree!
    And as JEC stated, we (Texas) had a great opportunity in 2017 to wage a war on hogs with warfarin. Some of the main opposition was the hog hunting guides and outfitters. They won! Money and politics!
    Hogs are devastating on the land, wildlife, livestock and basically the entire ecosystem. About the only predator they have is the rare cougar which isn’t helping much.
    We hunt on about a 900 acre ranch on the red river in that county. The land owner and I almost had a blow up three weeks ago because the night time “hog hunter” was on the property riding around all night in the bottoms with his thermal scope blasting away. I ran into him right before daylight Saturday morning as I was heading to my bow stand. Needless to say, I didn’t see a good buck.
    I want the hogs gone as much as the next hunter/land owner and I understand the dilemma they are putting each of us in.
    I feel your pain JEC, hopefully a viable solution can be found to control them soon. I just hope our elderly rancher doesn’t find out about the helicopter this deer season!

10. Ken Seamann

Ken Seamann Member

Lots of pigs in Cali, some not to far from there.
    Nutria are showing up here in the Delta.

11. Ken Seamann

Ken Seamann Member

Grizz used to be native to Great Plains

GunHawk likes this.
  12. SnkBit

SnkBit Member

The problem is hunters tend to go places they’re not supposed to go and shoot things they’re not supposed to shoot. I’m not willing to take on that headache and liability for $100. I don’t need it. If I’m going to let hunters on my land it’s going to be for a price I feel is worthwhile. The benefit needs to outweigh the risk. Yes, it can be a revenue stream and why shouldn’t it?