Heavy Bolt Lift

Dry lifting and already cocked it is still much heavier than I'd like, especially at the top of the stroke. I took the firing pin assembly completely out a few minutes ago and it is SMOOOTH and solid but also naturally extremely light. But I can verify that it isnt the lugs or a hangup in the chamber area. The action is beautiful and would be my favorite (and most expensive) but it's so disappointing that it's so heavy. Testing loads with it is extremely difficult because after pulling the trigger it is very hard to lift.

I did notice something after putting the firing pin assembly back into the bolt and working the bolt a few time. When I start to push the bolt down into the locking position (firing position), you can feel the spring literally pull the bolt down almost jerking it out of my hands. If that makes since. For example if my bolt was a 90 degree throw, at about 75-80 degrees the bolt starts to pull itself downwards and I can let go and it will slam itself into place.
Sounds like a cock on opening action and an extremely heavy firing pin spring. You might buy a lighter spring or get a gunsmith to replace the spring with another one.

Hey Everyone, been a while. I decided to pull the 300 Norma out of the safe a few days ago and forgot why I put it up for so long to begin with, but I remembered as soon as I shot the first round. The BOLT LIFT IS LIKE MOVING A MOUNTAIN.

Strangely, it is built on a BAT action and it's as sturdy as they come. I posted a thread on here a few years ago about the bolt lift and at the time no one was able to help me. I decided to revisit the forum to see if anyone had any ideas or have encountered this problem. The bolt is much heavier than any of my other factory bolt guns and after I pull the trigger (even on an empty chamber) the bolt lift becomes EVEN heavier. It's so frustrating trying to "feel" pressure signs before viewing brass as the bolt lift is always heavy. I've lubed this thing to death, I've changed out triggers, I've tried factory ammo. I've even sent the **** thing back to BAT and in about 2 weeks I received my action back with a note that assured me everything was working flawlessly.

They obviously know more about the products than I do, but I just can't understand how they could not feel such a heavy bolt lift as compared to the other rem 700's, savages, tigers, etc that I have. I just wonder if it's not the firing pin spring. And if it is, I'm afraid to alter it in fear of inducing ignition problems.

Any suggestions guys?

You need to isolate this problem instead of trying to evaluate it assembled and avoid the "oh, it may be this or it many br that!

Strip the rifle down compleatly. Remove the trigger, dissasemble the bolt, remove the firing pin and reinsert the bolt.

1. With the rifle stripped down and the bolt stripped down of all mechanicals, work the bolt back and forth. If it's heavy on the life the problem is likly the bolt lugs or the ways in the action
2. Continue that process piece by piece until the problem returns.
The process of elimination at this point it the only way

Possible problems are.
1. Bolt lugs on the bolt or in the action itself. I would hope you have compleatly scrubed the daylight out of the action and bolt.
2. Lay the stripped action on a flat surface without the bolt and check the strightness of the action. A twisted action is very rare more likly in
a heavy caliber actction.
3. Is you action Aluminum or Steel. Dissimaler metal (Aluminum to Steel) have a tendency to gaul. Check it closley.
3. Is the bolt stright. Put a stright edge against the bolt and the action to see if they are true to each other.
4. Is your barrel true to the action .
5. If you are so equiped, use a depth gauge and check how deely the barrel threads extend into the action, in the same way check the barrel threads for compatability with the action.

My friend, I just laid out lots of elbow grease for you but this must be done this way. If none of this reveals the problem than you have a HAUNTED RIFLE! Proceed accordingly.

Hey Everyone, been a while. I decided to pull the 300 Norma out of the safe a few days ago and forgot why I put it up for so long to begin with, but I remembered as soon as I shot the first round. The BOLT LIFT IS LIKE MOVING A MOUNTAIN.

Strangely, it is built on a BAT action and it's as sturdy as they come. I posted a thread on here a few years ago about the bolt lift and at the time no one was able to help me. I decided to revisit the forum to see if anyone had any ideas or have encountered this problem. The bolt is much heavier than any of my other factory bolt guns and after I pull the trigger (even on an empty chamber) the bolt lift becomes EVEN heavier. It's so frustrating trying to "feel" pressure signs before viewing brass as the bolt lift is always heavy. I've lubed this thing to death, I've changed out triggers, I've tried factory ammo. I've even sent the **** thing back to BAT and in about 2 weeks I received my action back with a note that assured me everything was working flawlessly.

They obviously know more about the products than I do, but I just can't understand how they could not feel such a heavy bolt lift as compared to the other rem 700's, savages, tigers, etc that I have. I just wonder if it's not the firing pin spring. And if it is, I'm afraid to alter it in fear of inducing ignition problems.

Any suggestions guys?
Perhaps the front action screw issomehow slight

Any suggestions guys?
Check to see if the front action mounting screw is protruding into the action. That will usually catch on the locking lugs when the bolt is rotated. Check also for bedding compound or smeared lead in this area.

Any suggestions guys?
I will give you some personal experience. I have a Rem 300 SAUM that for many reasons fell by the wayside and was overtaken by the Win 300 sort mag. Point is, only Remington core locks were available, no one else loaded for this round. Not everything, but 7 to 8 bullets in a box of 20 would give me real heavy bolt lift, to the point I had to wait for cool down before I could eject the spent brass.

Took it to Bass and left 2 boxes ( 150 grain and 165) as as to Gander Mountain and also I sent it to Remington. All of them told me it worked flawless. I would take it out and again, same hell of a problem. Not my imagination, three friends shot and felt what I felt.

Long story long, started reloading. The issue was, in my own particular case, that Remington loaded rounds too hot ( I believe so they could justify the " magical" 300 fps that everyone chases after) but it would expand too much and therefore, also with a short chamber, it would have to cool down so I would not feel heavy bolt lift.

I reload now, have no isdues and shoot less that .5 Moa at 508 yds which is my range distance with no heavy bolt whatsoever.

My two cents

If the scope mount screws are too long, and scraping against the bolt, you would have marks on the bolt where they rub. You might check that (easy enough to do without disassembling anything -- just open the bolt) so you can check that off the list.

I'm with those who are saying it has to do with faulty timing or a trigger issue, but the factory would have found those when you sent it back.

Please let us know what it was when you find out.
When I have a issue like this I have learned to trust what you see. If you can't see it how can you fix it 🤠 so I'm quick to put valve grinding compound on the offending part and look for the dull spots, that's the rough spot and the compound may work out the issues. Clean everything up with soap and water. Hope you can get everything working 💯

Any suggestions guys?
No way your scope base screws are interfering with your bolt operation?

Ok all you guys asking about screw interference did you read the part where it runs great without the firing pin assembly in it. If it was a screw too long it would do it even without the firing pin assembly in the bolt. To me it sounds like the firing pin spring might be real heavy. If you have a scale you can put your firing pin tip on it and push the shroud down. When you feel the shroud move against the spring see what it reads. Try a lighter spring and see if it helps. They are cheap to try. Bat target actions normally have lighter springs in them so the bolt lift is lighter. They added mass to the pin so it had enough energy for ignition. The cocking ramp should be checked too for any roughness. Same with cocking piece that rides on the ramp. Any roughness here will give you hard lift. But first thing I would do is call bat and see what spring is recommended and see how much lower they say you can go and still be reliable.
Shep

Okay. Not a screw. My bad. But recalling I had a remmy with a bolt lift problem hat turned out to be primary extraction during bolt lift because the bolt and action body (the little ramp that works against the bolt tail) were not in sync. The bolt was from PT&G.

Recent Posts