Heavy Bolt Lift

How do I order a spring. Sadly it will probably be cheaper to change the spring before sending that 15# hunk of metal across the country. And I live in VA. We see temps into the teens MAYBE haha so I have no problems trying a lighter spring.

BAT Machine sells the springs on the web site. Springs are shown with a price of $16.50. Don't know what shipping would be. If you need more info/help, give 'em a call.

BAT Machine sells the springs on the web site. Springs are shown with a price of $16.50. Don't know what shipping would be. If you need more info/help, give 'em a call.
I should have been more specific, "how do I order a spring lighter than the one I have".
I only see one offering for HR model receivers. Do they only make 26# for HR receivers?

Call them and ask if they have a light spring for the HR. Otherwise you can clip off a couple coils and measure the force on a bathroom scale. Take it down to 21-22lb. I still think you have and issue, these things open nice with a 26-28lb spring. This is a video of a stock setup.

Last edited:
Call them and ask if they have a light spring for the HR. Otherwise you can clip off a couple coils and measure the force on a bathroom scale. Take it down to 21-22lb. I still think you have and issue, these things open nice with a 26-28lb spring. This is a video of a stock setup.

Thanks for all the help Alex. After reviewing some of your videos, I am afraid I have a clicker as well. I'm starting to think alot of my problems (after firing) are steming from a sizing die. The bolt is heavy from an empty chamber but it is EXTREMELY heavy after firing a case of various powder charges. I never see any pressure signs EXCEPT a heavy bolt lift

I've been noticing slight shiny marks on the bottom portion of the case from the sizing die. That video made me think a bit.

Thanks for all the help Alex. After reviewing some of your videos, I am afraid I have a clicker as well. I'm starting to think alot of my problems (after firing) are steming from a sizing die. The bolt is heavy from an empty chamber but it is EXTREMELY heavy after firing a case of various powder charges. I never see any pressure signs EXCEPT a heavy bolt lift

I've been noticing slight shiny marks on the bottom portion of the case from the sizing die. That video made me think a bit.
Welp, I cut 2 coils off of the spring today. WHAT A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE. while it's still a tad heavy, it is MUCH better. I'm going to order another full sized spring from Bat in case I mess this spring up or go too far, but man just the 2 coils off and I can feel a difference the pressure needed to lift the bolt. Thanks to everyone that replied.

Welp, I cut 2 coils off of the spring today. WHAT A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE. while it's still a tad heavy, it is MUCH better. I'm going to order another full sized spring from Bat in case I mess this spring up or go too far, but man just the 2 coils off and I can feel a difference the pressure needed to lift the bolt. Thanks to everyone that replied.

Thanks for following up. Thanks for giving us the details regarding how you solve the problem.
Johnny

Yes, as HRM Johnny says, thanks for keeping us informed.

At some later date, I hope someone will explain how a heavy firing pin spring can cause the symptoms you were experiencing. It doesn't make sense to me.