Snug Bolt Lift?

samson

I am shooting a 300 wm and noticing a slightly hard to lift bolt handle after firing. I am shooting a 190 smk, norma brass and using IMR 4831(72 grns) launched by a federal 210m primer. I realize that pressure must be up and am wondering what to do next. Would you seat the bullet deeper or back off powder level or maybe even change primers? Right now the bullet is seated into the lands slightly and is achieving good accuracy around 3050 FPS. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

typicaly a stiff boltis a little ways down the list of pressure you will usualy see extractor marks then flat primmers then the sticky bolt and in a well cut tight chamber you may not get a sticky bolt till the pressures are realy high.
Most folks assume that just because they are getting sticky bolt lift that their pressure is up but in actuality it could be from the brass flowing forward just enough to get into a tight spot in the neck or it could be from a poorly cut chamber.
First check the case head and see if their is a slight shiny spot that would be where the extractor makes contact and if their is a mark then check to see if the primers are differant shape than when you seated them(flattened out) and if you have this then you probably have sticky bolt from pressure if not its from another reason.

Typicaly velocity is a good indication of pressure , if you running higher than most posted data then your probably over pressure but some guns shoot fast. 3000fps isin't unheard of in a 300Win mag with a 24-26 inch barrel.

I am shooting a trued mod 70 action on a 28 inch barrel from Hart. The action is skim bedded on an HS precision stock. I have not noticed any marks on the head or loose primer pockets? Any suggestions?

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.