HBN extened barrel life?

I use it exclusively on my barrels and bullets. I can run a stainless barrel beyond 200 rounds and I dont get any copper. Patch is amazingly clean of carbon as well, like it blows out the muzzle. It does fill in the meplat though, I go in with a small pin drill.

Never seen HBN fill in the hollow tips on Berger style bullets using a vibratory tumbled. HBN coated 1000s of bullets.
No experience with a rotary tumbler.
There are differences in technique between rotary and vibratory. A person needs to know which method is in use in order to benefit from any member's posted information.

To the extent that discussion should be specific to the type of tumbler a person intends to use.

I'll be using a vibratory method.
I've read that guys have different varying opinions and results using steel media vs no media.

Here's what my method is applying HBN with a vibratory tumbler.
I use the harbor freight tumbler.
I wash my bullets with dish soap to degrease the bullets.
I put them in a food dehydrator to dry them and get them good and hot.
Put them in the big pill bottle that the Tubbs Kit provides with the BBs out of the old Daisy BB gun. (Degrease them too)
Then I tumble them for 3 hours.
Take them out and wipe them off...

I ordered the starter kit from Bullet Coatings. I'll have to see exactly what kind of quality equipment comes with the kit. I might try to clean the media and bullets with acetone. I don't know if soap leaves a residue but if Dawn will work I'll give it a try. Dawn is much cheaper than acetone.

On the Bullet Coating.com page it states that HBN is very sensitive to water !
How can this be good for hunting conditions? Anyone see any negative effects of rain/ humidity on HBN.

It is only applicable when you are applying the product, if you have water present when trying to apply it will clump on you, after the fact it is a non issue.

I think people have read about the binders used to make solid HBN products they can be hygroscopic but HBN powder by it's self is not as far as I can ascertain . However I have not done any work on any potential oxidation products of HBN in the bore during exposure to powder flame and after but it seems very inert to me at this stage .
I did years of research and experiments with MoS2 Moly but HBN can't be bothered really . As far as I can tell the only real down side is what could happen under the HBN coating in the bore over time . I am not going to speculate but I personally would not trust the thin coating to exclude air from the steel surface as well as an oil or grease would . I personally would give the barrel a good scrub and lubricate it well if putting the gun away for say a whole season without use .

That sounds reasonable.

The issue of HBN extending barrel life is so obscured by many factors. I don't think a definite statement pro or con can be said without a certain level of speculation.
However I am in. I have not heard one negative opinion.

Reduced ES, reduced cleanings effort/intervals, fewer fouling shots, cold bore confidence, and eliminating case/ bullet bonding.
Thanks to everyone for first hand insight.

That sounds reasonable.

The issue of HBN extending barrel life is so obscured by many factors. I don't think a definite statement pro or con can be said without a certain level of speculation.
However I am in. I have not heard one negative opinion.

Reduced ES, reduced cleanings effort/intervals, fewer fouling shots, cold bore confidence, and eliminating case/ bullet bonding.
Thanks to everyone for first hand insight.
That's an intelligent assessment .

Can anyone tell if these are coated well enough?
Vibrator tumbled for 2 hours without the media and towel polished.
They were slippery to touch and seated very smooth.

Attachments

• 20170506_192033.jpg
    20170506_192033.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 83
Can anyone tell if these are coated well enough?
Vibrator tumbled for 2 hours without the media and towel polished.
They were slippery to touch and seated very smooth.
They appear to be Brice.
But it's hard to tell from a pic. Mine always look frosted when I'm done.

These are 185vld before buffing and after.

Attachments

• 20170506_202302.jpg
    20170506_202302.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 93
  • 20170506_202515.jpg
    20170506_202515.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 82
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.