HBN extened barrel life?

I have attached a couple more pictures if it helps. It looks like your coating is good.

Attachments

• IMG_2084.jpg
    IMG_2084.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2085.jpg
    IMG_2085.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 60
JTB, they look just right! I've done plenty of them using a vibratory system for one hour at a time, no medium.

Tom

I think chrome moly is harder than stainless steel in barrels, not sure but I think so that's why smiths like the stainless barrel it's a little easier to machine and get a smoother chamber, and the barrel makers like it for bein softer also, but I could be wrong I may have misunderstood what you was sayin also. I'm not a metallurgist lol

you can imbed your own bullets with lapping compound by getting a hardened steel plate base then another hardened plate and rub the compound on the plates, then put your bullet on the bottom plate then take the top plate and roll the bullet between the plates with light pressure, this will imbed the compound into the copper jacket. then you can firelapp with the bullet you just made imbedded with lapping compound. I have done this and it works quite well, I got the lapping compound from a buddy he started me out with coarse then 4 other grits he labeled then 1,2,3,4, and I have forgot what he said they were, or do the Tubb deal like your sayin

Do an experiment HBN users. Find some steel pins or make some short steel rod off cuts to approximate a bullet . Clean them up bright and shinny and then coat them with HBN . Leave some on the bench in an open container , leave some outside in the weather and put some in your gun storage area .
Leave them and watch to see if any corrosion starts coming to the surface .
This approximates what might happen inside the bore under different condition less the powder flame and heat effect as we can't coat inside a tube easily or see inside a tube easily . If no rust starts under the coating of the parts kept inside after several weeks or even months then it's pretty good.

Have you tried this?
Or is this just a thought?

Either way good experiment. I'll try it, but I really need a good way to embed it evenly like the bore would be coated under pressure.

Have you tried this?
Or is this just a thought?

Either way good experiment. I'll try it, but I really need a good way to embed it evenly like the bore would be coated under pressure.
Not for HBN but done similar for moly many years ago .
It is only a rough approximation to what may happen inside a barrel.
To do it proper you would need to shoot a barrel and then section the barrel up into pieces and use that . I don't have a worn out barrel to sacrifice at the moment and I don't use HBN at the moment but I'm considering it .
It will just give a rough idea of how well the HBN excludes air and moisture from the steel surface . It might work good I don't know .

My whitetail rifles go into the field treated with HBN and fouled with 5-10 rounds I shoot cold for each shot. I address the bores after a two week season and after our muzzle season, about a month. Cleaning has been nothing less than extraordinarily easy, smooth and shiny. Retreat and go.

Not for HBN but done similar for moly many years ago .
It is only a rough approximation to what may happen inside a barrel.
To do it proper you would need to shoot a barrel and then section the barrel up into pieces and use that . I don't have a worn out barrel to sacrifice at the moment and I don't use HBN at the moment but I'm considering it .
It will just give a rough idea of how well the HBN excludes air and moisture from the steel surface . It might work good I don't know .
This is a piece of CS treated with FP10 about 3 or 4 years ago. A section was sanded with 1000 grit and wheel buffed to mirror finish. Half of the polished section had HBN ground into the surface with a lapping plate and plastic bar. Then left with stranding water on the surface for four days.
One thing is for sure, FP10 is a great rust preventor.

Attachments

• 20170511_154244.jpg
    20170511_154244.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 84
I am not sure how applicable this tests photo is now when it was done years ago.
How much of that rust ( assuming the yellow is rust) under the HBN came over what period of time ? However it does seem to indicate that HBN is not as good at preventing rust as some people think and that does not surprise me. It can't exclude moisture from the steel surface as efficiently as say FP10 has done .

The test began and hBN applied. 4 days ago.

The fp10 was applied years ago when I stored the price of CS . the whole length of steel had standing water on it, I was just commenting on the effectiveness of FP10 as a side note.

I am not sure I understand what the point of this is... HBN, at least in my case wasnt used to prevent rust. I still clean my guns and reapply in the bore when appropriate and I dont believe anyone ever suggested it should be applied and then never touched again.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts