barrel life

TheFishBox

So i would like it if guys could post what rifle they have and how many rounds down the tube so I can get an idea of barrel life for different calibers, just post some of the important info like load, twist, etc etc. and do you put barrel life into consideration for picking a new caliber?

So i would like it if guys could post what rifle they have and how many rounds down the tube so I can get an idea of barrel life for different calibers, just post some of the important info like load, twist, etc etc. and do you put barrel life into consideration for picking a new caliber?
Man you gotta narrow down the parameters a good bit or this will be the longest running thread in history!

What is your intended use for the rifle. Let's tart there and then we can start talking about specific calibers and barrel life.

In general barrel life is not a huge issue with most calibers if you have the good sense to not shoot them hot.

Shoot three round groups and then wait at least ten minutes with an open bolt and even most of the barrel burners are going to give you reasonable life.

My 270 wsm is the first rifle that I, all kidding aside, shot to death.
Loved this rifle. Mostly held less than 1" at 200 yards.
150 gr BT @ 3150 fps.
Never shot it hot, always 3 shots and cooldown.

Somewhere around 11 years and 1500 rounds and
it wouldn group 2" at 200 yds anymore.
So sad. Parted it out.

After all that, spend $100 having the barrel melonited and you and can throw all that info out as the barrel gets 2-4x+ on barrel life.

search for melonite here and on Bench Rest Central for all the info

Remington Mispec 308. Put 2400 rounds through it very, very hot in competition. .25 MOA opened up to .75MOA. Gave it to my Son in Law for hunting and it's still going with .75MOA, probably close to 3000 rounds. These are 5 shot groups. Now working on my second Milspec with 700 rounds through it.

finish-02-look-down.gif

Excel Formula Predicts Useful Barrel Life within AccurateShooter.com

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.