Having hell with my new 300win

A wide range of knowledge keeps me from having tunnel vision and heading down the same dead-end track. That doesn't mean I know all, but do listen to others that might lead me to the answer!

Man I feel for ya. I built a custom 280ai and have been trying to work up a load for it the past 2-3 weeks. Without looking in my logs I can't tell you how many loads and seating depths I tried with ABLRs, Accubonds and ELD-Xs using H4831sc and IMR 7828 ssc. I finally got some Berger VLDH in and it proved to be a shooter with those... getting .36-.45 three shot groups. Yesterday I shot a .6 six shot group in about 90 seconds and took it out to 708 yards with good results, so it will make a hunting rifle for me now. I still need to take it to 1000, but it looks like it will do me fine. The ABLRs are starting to come around also. This is after 200 rounds fired! I did switch out my bag on my front adjustable rest also since it was very hard and kind of "wiggly". I will also add that my house I moved from I had built a nice range with a very good, stable bench in my back yard. At my new place I have resorted to shooting off a Wal Mart folding table and can actually see my crosshairs move with each heartbeat at 18x! I have to really, realy concentrate and have everything perfect when shooting off this thing. Sadly, I believe if I would have driven to the range with stable benches I could have had this task accomplished much earlier... but I HATE public ranges! 🥴
I was really pulling my hair out since I have a Bartlein barrel chambered by a top name smith, I bedded it in a Mesa Precision carbon stock, great trigger and Lone Peak action. I will say the chamber and barrel are the tightest of any 7mm/.284 I have worked with.
It likes very little jump, even with the Bergers at .004".
I would review your system... your stock/bedding, shooting table, rest, etc once you have ruled out optics and mounts.
The painful part nowadays is shooting all those rounds and knowing how hard componants are to come up with.
Good luck to you.
I'm battling the same things that you mentioned here with a new build with Bartlein barrel.
Tried 5 powders including the ones you mentioned, 5 bullets (Nosler BT 140's and 150's,140 NAB and 162 ELD-X and SST). Removed from same Mesa Precision Altitude bedded stock and put in another stock...no luck. Removed and retorqued scope...no luck. Removed and replaced scope...no luck. All shot off bipod and rear sand bag and front and rear sand bag off of concrete bench. o_O
I'm pulling my hair out too!

I'm battling the same things that you mentioned here with a new build with Bartlein barrel.
Tried 5 powders including the ones you mentioned, 5 bullets (Nosler BT 140's and 150's,140 NAB and 162 ELD-X and SST). Removed from same Mesa Precision Altitude bedded stock and put in another stock...no luck. Removed and retorqued scope...no luck. Removed and replaced scope...no luck. All shot off bipod and rear sand bag and front and rear sand bag off of concrete bench. o_O
I'm pulling my hair out too!
Gawd it is frustrating. You didn't mention cartridge, but I had a .300 WSM that refused to shoot anything less than 180 bullets, no matter the make.
A few years ago, although frustrating, we could still get components. Now it hurts every time you squeeze the trigger. I enjoy shooting, but not when I am not getting pretty little groups!

280 AI.
Yep. Getting expensive too! I guess I'll have to try heavier bullets. Didn't want to use them but I have some 180 Hybrid that I shoot in my LR rig that I can try.

280 AI.
Yep. Getting expensive too! I guess I'll have to try heavier bullets. Didn't want to use them but I have some 180 Hybrid that I shoot in my LR rig that I can try.
Yeah, mine didn't care for the ELD-X much at all. Didn't like the 160 gr ACB much either (which my .280 Rems love). I never had much luck with SSTs. I believe I may get the 168 ABLR to shoot with more work. The 168 VLDH are the best thus far.
I have the 8.7 twist in the Bartlein for reference... in case that is what you are shooting.

Yeah, mine didn't care for the ELD-X much at all. Didn't like the 160 gr ACB much either (which my .280 Rems love). I never had much luck with SSTs. I believe I may get the 168 ABLR to shoot with more work. The 168 VLDH are the best thus far.
I have the 8.7 twist in the Bartlein for reference... in case that is what you are shooting.
I had a .280 AI that didn't like 160 ABLR or the ELD-X much either. It did just ok. It LOVED it some Berger 180s and some Woodleigh 175s, however. I had an 8 twist. Give the 180s a try and put them right up against the lands, but don't jam them.

Between you, me and the gate post- I wouldn't waste any more time and components on a 2020 model 700. Remington used to have a good parts and repair department, but now they're bust. They used to make a good gun, too. Their ammo comes out with mixed and deformed primers! It's like they sweep the floor for components so they can squeeze out another box to sell the hoarders- who will never shoot them, anyway. A friend bought a Model 700 .300 WSM a few years ago and with match ammo got 2"+ groups. He complained to Remington, and they said that was acceptable accuracy. I'm liking the Savage these days.
I've acquired a pre bankruptcy Remington700 .223 5R tactical. Its sweet. Just show's what they could do before all the trouble.

THIS ^^^ could be, the "culprit" as,..
Son and I, BOTH, had to, Glass Bed, the Action, Recoil Lug and our BARREL Channel's ( Free Floated, Bbl's ) of our Tupperware, PLASTIC Stocked, Rem 700's in, 7 MM Mag and .300 WSM to get, the Rifles to,.. "shoot" !
The Forend's would "touch" Barrels under, Pre-loading "Stress" of, the Bi-Pod in Prone position and sometimes on, the Caldwell Rest.
They ARE,. Flimsy, stocks,.. NOT like, the Tikka Stocks that, ARE,.. "Hard" / stiff !
FILLING up, the weak, Barrel "channel" / Forend Area with, Glass Bedding compound, will "stiffen up" & CURE, the Tupperware,.. forend, Problem !
You Problem, most likely,.. ISN'T, the Ammo
If I we're a betting man , my money would be on your advice .

Bought a remmy 300wm long rang last year. Changed the stock and properly bedded into a carbon fibre stock. She would do around 1.5" groups with factory and left over loaded ammo. I don't have much time for bad barrels and was pricing up a re-barrel already but thought I will try to polish the barrel somewhat. Initially scrubbed the barrel with hard nylon brush and abrasive kitchen stainless cleaner as well as fairy liquid. Flushed with soapy water then wrapped a small piece of rag around an old bronze brush and used stainless steel polish (Peek) to do about 20 strokes stopping 2" short of the muzzle. Last stroke pushed through. After that she shot down to 9mm groups at 100m with 178 ELDX. Thinking back most of my remmy barrels were treated that or similar way.
edi

If you are still up for trying different bullets but don't want to buy a bunch I have several I don't use much willing to send you. Like started packs. Say 10 each? 185 Berger, 210 Berger and various others. Chased my tail with a .300wsm once like this and know the frustration. PM if I can help...

8.7 twist 2b @24".
I have another 8 twist 24" carbon and 9 twist 26" #3 that will shoot any of the bullets I mentioned very well and a couple 160 class into one hole.
Gave it a good cleaning again last night then a bit of JB on a nylon for a few strokes. Feels and looks great inside.
Will try the 180 Hybrids next as I don't have anything in between.

I haven't tried any factory ammo. I haven't purchased any factory ammo in 15 years. I hand load everything. I've considered buy a couple boxes to try.
Just great info from responders, Only one thing, I have a 6.5 CM right out of the box it shot . 20 MOA, not a MOA guy , so I shoot in Mils, and the loads it shot are Hornady 143 ELD-X , and they sit 60 off the lands, found this unreal. So reloaded some Berger 140's in H4350 and RL 26 to do some research now, also the same seeds in 143 ELD-X to see what works.

If you have a buddy who shoots .300 WM, and gets good groups, try some of his ammo, or let him reload some of his brass with your components. Do some chrony work at the same time and assure reasonable tight spread of velocity. If it doesn't improve, with all the stuff you've tried, then it's not your dies, or your brass or your primers, or your bullets. I'd say use factory except that is often not available, or in off-weight, and maybe not a comparable. Next, try a whole new scope/mount/blocks. Go all the way to the action. Next work on the rifle itself, and try shims up and down that free-float. Field strip the bolt and make sure there's nothing impeding the spring/firing pin which could impact lock time. At this point, it's either the stock bedding ( which isn't likely given that you re-bedded it), or the barrel. What I'd try to do is get it down to the point where it's got to be the barrel, and then you know what you gotta do....unfortunately. Don't know if Remington has any customer service left, but if they did, at that point I'd send it back with a list of all the stuff you've done and insist they either prove the barrel good, or put on a new one. With the current state of Rem., you may wind up replacing the barrel yourself.

10/2020 production date 700 300win sps.
I've tried 165nbt, 168ablr, 180sgk, 180fed fusion, 155 (I think they are nos match they shot best). Have tried doing 3 shot ladder/ group test with 7828, 4831, 4451, re26.
I just floated the stock and changed out the new Burris veracity to make sure it's not the scope.
Everything is tourqed to spec.

anyone have recommendations for bullet to try. I'm going to run hammer bullets but want to try to get it to group before I start sending 1.25 pills down the pipe. Best group is 155 like 1.5moa. the rest is 2.5-3moa
209B217E-30BC-4213-A112-3B47ABD70544.jpeg