What the hell!

I don't want to give up my local honey hole, they probably wouldn't ship out supplies anyway. They are loyal to the locals,which i can respect that. But I was at Cabelas last week in Columbus Ohio, and they had a very good supply of Alliant, IMR and H powders, along with several thousand primers including Federal.

I can certainly respect that!

Next time plan.
When you consider a cartridge, a gun, dies, etc., research all component availabilities.

Hello Mike, I spent last fall on that type of research. It was painful. Interestingly, the only consistently available items were Weatherby and 35 whelen.

afternoon, did they have any ramshot big game? I would buy 5lbs. or more. that ought to keep me till I die. where is the location if I may ask?

Just Countrylightbulb

Stuff is BETTER but yeah still not GREAT. I started reloading a couple years ago, it was worse then to try and gather up things... These days I'm stock piling supplies to match my shooting for a couple years at a crack when I see inventory/deals. Primers haven't been too scarce lately when I've stopped into the local Cabels/sportsmans and I have enough to keep me shooting. Powder is hit/miss but I have enough for my known loads. I've been watching online for bullets/brass. I'm finally caught up on brass, that has been the biggest PITA.

I have a new rifle/caliber due any day and I have some powders to try with it but I don't know which will be "the" powder so that is my main exposure right now if things hit the fan again. As soon as I have a load worked I'll be looking to grab a jug of that powder.

i have not had to buy much for the last 10-12 years . had a good supply. just a few odds and ends. i look on ammoseek for stuff.

so its greedy of me to be siting on around 40lbs of powder and close to 10,000 primers? Bullets are what I don't have a whole lot of.

Now these are 4-6lbs of each powder, other than 50bmg I have 8lbs of that for my 338, and mostly different primers.

Some think these shortages will pass, and to be fair some stuff is more available. I think we're looking at the new normal. Hopefully you aren't completely dead in the water. Good Luck!

This stuff's been going on for over 5 years now, things have gotten slightly better but I still can't go into my local shop and have a reasonable expectation that they'll have what I need. If you don't buy a good bit of a powder you need you might not see it for another year, I never had that problem before Obama.

It is the new normal like it or not. Waiting for the shortage to pass isn't working. It does no good to wait for the shortage to pass if we're all dead and buried before it happens. Unlike the past, you're forced to stock up on components when they become available if you want to have a reasonable expectation of being able to feed your rifles a load they like. I have a lot more powder, primers, and bullets than I'd have ever considered keeping before, but you have to because you can't just go pick it up anymore like you used to.

Sorta feeds into the shortage problem (all us stocking up now), at least it's better (ie workable) as noted now.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.