What the heck is this?

I'll give that a try
Do both the cordless drill and the short stoking methods, if you ever sand or grind you know how changing directions speeds things up. Also don't get wrapped up in the looks of the barrel, use the scope to diagnose a problem and check your cleaning methods. Don't use the scope to find problems with your barrel that aren't problems. I have a .243WIN with ~1,700 rounds and the barrel has chunks missing like one of your pictures for the first 5 inches but it shoots so well 3 of my friends want to buy it. A while back Alex Wheeler posted a picture of a similar "fried" barrel and people ranted to get rid of it, use it as a garden stake, etc. then he said that barrel had just set a world record. So let the barrel do the talking and don't over think the looks.
You have probably spent the last 10 scoping all your barrels...LOL

Do both the cordless drill and the short stoking methods, if you ever sand or grind you know how changing directions speeds things up. Also don't get wrapped up in the looks of the barrel, use the scope to diagnose a problem and check your cleaning methods. Don't use the scope to find problems with your barrel that aren't problems. I have a .243WIN with ~1,700 rounds and the barrel has chunks missing like one of your pictures for the first 5 inches but it shoots so well 3 of my friends want to buy it. A while back Alex Wheeler posted a picture of a similar "fried" barrel and people ranted to get rid of it, use it as a garden stake, etc. then he said that barrel had just set a world record. So let the barrel do the talking and don't over think the looks.
You have probably spent the last 10 scoping all your barrels...LOL
Lol ya I've been scoping barrels with my new toy. What I've learned is my cleaning isnt good enough on my 7mm. Bunch of carbon fouling. I also learned 7mms fire crack quickly! This is with less than 200 rounds down the pipe!
2020-01-17-18-34-26.jpg

Lol ya I've been scoping barrels with my new toy. What I've learned is my cleaning isnt good enough on my 7mm. Bunch of carbon fouling. I also learned 7mms fire crack quickly! This is with less than 200 rounds down the pipe!View attachment 170028
You should see my 257 saum after 230 rounds, looks a fair bit worse than that. I wait about 90 seconds between shots too.

Lol ya I've been scoping barrels with my new toy. What I've learned is my cleaning isnt good enough on my 7mm. Bunch of carbon fouling. I also learned 7mms fire crack quickly! This is with less than 200 rounds down the pipe!View attachment 170028
Are you sure that's not just carbon buildup cracking? That's how my dads 308 looked after just 20 rounds through it. And no cleaning.

Glad you found the problem. Someone posted above about a drill and tap size for the hornady oal tool. What size thread is the tap and drill bit?

You should see my 257 saum after 230 rounds, looks a fair bit worse than that. I wait about 90 seconds between shots too.
I've had this barrel fairly warm. When I shoot for groups I do 5 shots with about 30 sec inbetween then let it cool. When I'm out actually shooting long range I'll go by feel on the barrel. Depends on the temp outside.

The tap is a 5/16 x 36 tpi . you can order the tap with the drill bit for it from Amazon as a set .

Currently working on my carbon. Over an hour Into it at this point. My freebore area is now clear and I'm working on the ring of carbon that's just ahead of where my case mouth sits

I got the carbon ring out. Marks on my bullets went away. Turns out the ring was giving me a false reading for my lands. I've been jumping them .100+ for awhile and never knew it. Rifle has been giving me serious fits. The lands in the 6.5 creed with a 140 eld is now out of my 3.005 mag. Did a couple shots tonight and got this at .040 off. Looks like shes going to go back to her old self
20200201_160303.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.