What the heck is this?

Looks like the bullet from my 300WSM throat that was ugly as sin. I would bet more on throat being severely eroded. Rifles can still shoot OK with throat erosion, as my 300 WSM did but seating bullets became to much of a chore plus I lost my COAL capability in the DM since I couldn't seat them to fit DM and be close to lands anymore.

A borescope will tell you quite a bit. If you have a OAL tool like the Hornady, I'd let the bullet sit way back in the neck, put it in the chamber and push it out until it stops. That would tell you a little as well.

Looks like the bullet from my 300WSM throat that was ugly as sin. I would bet more on throat being severely eroded. Rifles can still shoot OK with throat erosion, as my 300 WSM did but seating bullets became to much of a chore plus I lost my COAL capability in the DM since I couldn't seat them to fit DM and be close to lands anymore.
Im sure the throat is in rough shape.According to my last measurements I had I only had .20 to go before I was out of my magazine. This is a savage with a 3.005 box mag so that's saying something

I had similar issue with my 28 Nosler. Ended up being carbon build up in the lead. What tipped me off was an increase in velocity and hard bolt lift. Then it started to get hard to chamber a round so I ejected a loaded round to inspect it and noticed the marks on the bearring surface of the bullet. So I barrowed a bore scope and could see the carbon build up. You can also see from my pictures where the copper transferred when clambering. Several hours later soaking and scrubbing with C4 and it eventually came clean and velocity/pressure returned to normal.

Attachments

• 20180922_100323[1].jpg
    20180922_100323[1].jpg
    465.1 KB · Views: 145
  • 41153124.JPG
    41153124.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 171
  • 41153657.JPG
    41153657.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 133
The hornady OAL tool works a whole lot better with a case you have fired in your chamber, too much slop other wise.

I have the drill bit and the tap for $20 plus $3 postage, you will not regret using a fire formed case on the Hornady.

The hornady OAL tool works a whole lot better with a case you have fired in your chamber, too much slop other wise.

I have the drill bit and the tap for $20 plus $3 postage, you will not regret using a fire formed case on the Hornady.
I just drill a hole in the case but dont bother tapping it to screw onto the hornady tool, just slip it on and use as you would with a threaded case, it measures just the same, the calipers hold the case against the tool.

You'll love your teslong bore scope. I picked up a tap and bit off Amazon for 15$ to make my own fireformed cases, works quite well.

I had similar issue with my 28 Nosler. Ended up being carbon build up in the lead. What tipped me off was an increase in velocity and hard bolt lift. Then it started to get hard to chamber a round so I ejected a loaded round to inspect it and noticed the marks on the bearring surface of the bullet. So I barrowed a bore scope and could see the carbon build up. You can also see from my pictures where the copper transferred when clambering. Several hours later soaking and scrubbing with C4 and it eventually came clean and velocity/pressure returned to normal.
That does look very similar! Did it scratch it bad enough to feel in with your finger nail? I'd never think carbon could be so hard!

I cant honestly say whether it did or not, but my guess would be that it would have. I too have since purchased the Teslong borescope.

That does look very similar! Did it scratch it bad enough to feel in with your finger nail? I'd never think carbon could be so hard!
Diamonds are made of carbon, extremely hard stuff. Carbon rings can be a mofo to get out of a barrel & the lead is a very common place for them to form. That's what this looks like.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.