What the H!

have heard and seen so many Winchester brass issues in the last two years, that I can't imagine anyone is still using it.
Seriously, 22LR not ejecting, .223 not chambering, on and on. maybe if we quit using it they would get their act together again...

If you can, measure the wall right in that area. Curious to see if its thin or poor brass metallurgy. Sorry you have to tear all those down!

I'll do that, and let you know. I did get a reply which just asked me to send the same information again??? I don't know, we'll see.

they will tell you that we have never seen that happen before

We'll so far this is all they've said; see below.... and when I tried to reply again with the same question, and not sure why I needed to repeat myself I can't it through'..., it was "customer product support" I sent it to the first time. You can see it's a form letter because it not about ammunition it's about cartridge component. So I guess now the tap-dancing begins.

Winchester.
"Thank you for contacting Winchester. I am sorry that you were not completely satisfied with your recent Winchester Ammunition purchase. Here is a link to our online support form, https://winchester.com/Support/Customers/Product-Support. If you can provide some contact info and answer a couple questions, one of our customer support reps will work with you to resolve the issue and ensure that you are satisfied with the solution."

If you can, measure the wall right in that area. Curious to see if its thin or poor brass metallurgy. Sorry you have to tear all those down!

Sorry for the late reply, here's the reading I get from one of the "failed" cases... 0.0180" it's extremely hard to measure at the junction where the break takes place on one of the new unfired cases even with a good ball/tube micrometer. Like most measurements in some spots, it's a little thinker and some a little thinner, it's kind of the average spot that showed up the most using the case material attached to the bullet at the breaking point.

Attachments

• 20200813_041109.jpg
    20200813_041109.jpg
    735.4 KB · Views: 80
Sorry for the late reply, here's the reading I get from one of the "failed" cases... 0.0180" it's extremely hard to measure at the junction where the break takes place on one of the new unfired cases even with a good ball/tube micrometer. Like most measurements in some spots, it's a little thinker and some a little thinner, it's kind of the average spot that showed up the most using the case material attached to the bullet at the breaking point.
Thanks!
Makes me wonder about metallurgy now.

Ok, so... I fired a few of the suspected rounds (picked at random) with the bad Winchester brass, and yep it went south. One case started to come apart at the junction of the neck and shoulder, the second one that failed, left the rifle with a malfunction you never want to have on the two-way range when you have skin in the game. The neck separated in the chamber and remained there. Here's a photo of the two cartridges. So far Winchetesr hasn't got back to me'..., other than the first tap-dancing reply they sent, asking for the same information... again. I might add here; that the load I use is one I've used in other Winchester brass as well as other major manufacturers and Military brass with zero problems over the many years, since 2004 when Sierra brought out the 65gr SPBT GK bullet, and in many different rifles.

Win brass 4.jpg

Update; Winchester and I have made contact since my last comment. I did manage to get up the corporate ladder high enough to speak to the person that would make the decision'..., we have started on the process of identifying the cartridge date and lot as well as making me whole again in the deal, as all my Winchester bad brass as been mixed into the older Winchester brass and the loaded rounds which they will replace to my satisfaction round for round, and what new brass I have. So now it's a count the pile then see what happens. They first have to ship me shipping containers to get the brass and ammo back to them after my hand count.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.