have remmy l/a what to do?

fill me in on "your"experience's with the 6.5-284..
i had a 6mm-284 some years ago, and got tired of forming brass 2 times, then trying this and that, to finally get just over 3700 fps with a barnes xlc 85 gr'r.

i have alot of virgin .284 brass and quite a few 6mm-284's still.

how bout a 280 ai ?

this is just a project, i have this gun and want to play with making it a prom queen....

thought about a 338-06, good to bout 300 yards on elk and a serious whitetail flattener.

maybe a 25-284 ? but i'm not much into .25 cal.
i have 5 .223's, a 22-250, .243, and i forgot to mention the .338 wm.....

i'd like something that'll print a ragged hole, shoot close and wayyy out there. no more opening bolt faces with ar extractors, no more wyatt's mag boxes, plain ole remmy long action, with standard bolt face.

i have hundreds of fired 30-06 brass, all good...

have any of you reached the point of too many toys and they all don't get played with anymore ?

this is what i have to start, i bought a fancy grade weatherby factory second stock, i'm gonna send it to joel russo, to get cnc'd into a perfect weatherby stock,inletted for a remmy 700 bdl action, then it goes to another guy in ohio for the finish and perfecting.
the barrel is gonna be a benchmark, in a remmy magnum contour, not too heavy and not too light. it'll go to ??? (forgot the place my friend use's) for truing and barreling/chambering/crowning/beadblasting/ and marking......
it'll wear a set of tally lightweight ring/base combo's, and a luppy 3.5-10 for glass.

it'll be a bling bling, to look at gun, shot some, but admired more in the safe.
my first true built for me custom (?) gun....at least this is my thinking.

help.....

i am likeing the 6.5-06 ai, tho...

4X, he made it sound like he had just about everything in the normal range and wanted something different. i suggested something a little out of the norm. if he didn't want to do any alterations he would just use something like he already has. THINK, use your brain!!!

4X, he made it sound like he had just about everything in the normal range and wanted something different. i suggested something a little out of the norm. if he didn't want to do any alterations he would just use something like he already has. THINK, use your brain!!!

NO...He said he has hundreds of virgin 284 brass, and hundreds of 30-06 brass. Those two cases is where he is indicating he would like to persue....READ, PEOPLE!:D

I would go with a 6-284. Very good brass, very good bullets from point blank bench to 1000 yard bench, less recoil than the big boomers, and has proven itself in both the hunting/varmint world, and also in the 1000 yard bench world!! Capable of taking big game at some truly long range!:) The people who I have talked to say that you can shoot the lighter bullets accurately at some truly sick velocity's , and also be able to shoot the 105-115 class VLD's.
I don't have one, but really, really wish I did.

problem is with the 6-284, i don't want to form anymore, as in first lue up and run em thru a 25-284 die, then again thru the 6-284 die, and they really aren't sized right til after they are fired at least once.

think i'll just keep it as a 30-06, nothing wrong with it, could find ammo just about anywhere in the world, long barrel life, easy to load for, and a classic... ????

right .........

Read, People!

4X,
Mr. Splattermatic first posted he had a long action remmy he wanted to rebarrel and then says "well lets put it this way, if you really didn't need another rifle, but had this laying around, what would YOU BUILD?" That pretty much leaves the door open to comment on what THEY would build, don't you think? READ, PEOPLE!
My post about making it a .458 or .416 was meant as a joke, notice what I said about a small cal varmint rig. You didn't get it, that is my fault, sorry I didn't put the witty little smiley faces at the end like you did....my bad, I'll know better next time.
Mr. Splattermatic then stated he has a lot of virgin .284 brass and hundreds of usable 30-06 brass. But then he says this will be shot SOME and admired more in the safe. So it seems that if he chose one of those to use the majority of the brass would go unused, so when you bring up that point- that point is moot. Then he says he already had a 6-284 and didn't want to form brass. Then you said, " I would go with a 6-284." READ, PEOPLE! Maybe you should get your facts straight before you get rude with others on their opinion! Because yours isn't holding a lot of water.

Splattermatic,
Sorry for using your post to publicly stand up for myself and others. You also said the 6.5-06AI looks good, that sounds like a lot of brass work especially if you plan on using the '06 brass you already have. The good ol' 06 sounds like a great option for you...my opinion only, so take it as that.

My BAD

Ok...I give.:eek: You are right on most all counts. I should have kept my mouth shut (except for that carbon credit thing). My dry sense of humor doesn't cut it around these parts. And I did mis-read a couple of posts.:eek:

But, my original point about reworking the action, though it can be done, is why? Why go through all of that work when mag 700's are everywhere out there? And, with the out of the box accuracy of the Savage line turning some heads, those remmys are going down in price. I have never had a Savage, but have done some load development on a couple a few years ago. My first response when looking at them was ....WHY??.... After load testing I said....WHY NOT!!! But I am still a "REM-HEAD"

Any way, if it were me, I would either build something based on a 308 bolt face, or, if you are going to go big (and I truly love the big stuff), trade up to a mag action.

Again, that is just my .02 worth.

SORRY ABOUT MY BIG MOUTH

4X, i did get a chuckle out of the carbon credits thing! and i also wouldn't put a bunch of money into a custom build so it will be a safe queen. custom builds, at least in my opinion, are for function. that's the beauty of the good ole USA. you can for the most part, do what you want. please post a pic when you "get r done"

it's okay guys, you can vent.
i just don't know what i need to fill the niche that may never be used....
as i said i live in new mexico, so cross canyon shots are pretty normal as well as some up close...colorado elk hunting is up close in the trees, a 338 wm with 250 grain round nosers at approx. 2500 fps takes care of that. again the super mags and the 50 bmg will handle the mountain to mountain shots.
i have the super mags covered...
on the low side varmints are covered, a 7x64 brenneke in a mauser model 66 (a ballistic twin to a .280) a .308 hb, kinda covered the middle.the 243 can be light deer and heavy varmints, it dearly loves 70 gr bt's...

the 6.5-06 ai is a lot of work, yes i am bored.....

tell me what i need to know about a 6.5-284....

i know a 140 will go about 2900 max, give or take a bit...
but what twist if this were to be my main projectile ???
120's go a bit faster, but is there a big difference in down range between the 20 grain difference in bullet weight ? if i were to want to shoot either, is there a different twist ? a 1/9 or 1.8 ?? i like what i have read about the 6.5-284, this is what i am comparing...
a 140 6.5 at 2900
a 139 7mm at 3000
a 150 30-06 at 2900-3000
but as i go bigger the bc's go down, but the velocities remain about the same, so a 6.5 with a very high bc, pencil shape, at around the same velo's as the others will out perform at longer ranges than the others.
but still do the job at closer ranges..

and yes if i ever get drawn in nm again it will hunt.... i have had many a safe queen collectable fal rifles, and they were fine to look at, but when sold, i breathed a sigh of relief that the temptation of shooting a new unfired rifle was gone.

i want a beautiful piece to admire as well as be able to point it at a target and know it's accurate as well, and will perform as intended when it gets there..

so a 6.5 -284 seems to be the right choice.

need info on twist before ordering..

anyone have per loads ??

see what you guys did to me... sleepless nights, agravating days, thinking of ballistics...cartridges, bullets...

life is grand.. thanks...

If you are looking for info on the 6.5-284....check out the BR Central website. Go into the 1000 yd form. Great info, and a great bunch willing to share!!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.