Have I Master Precision Reloading?

I refer back to Greyfox's suggestions with some dry fire practice. I'm sure you'll get it straightened out.

Both AR's have nice drop in triggers...so I have eliminated the milspec triggers from the equation.

Shooting steel is the easiest, put hair on it, it's not too bad...but put a dot on a piece of paper...we have a problem.

BUT, I'm super pleased with where my reloading is at. Because of my target panic issues I don't shoot ladders and rarely OCW. I just can't trust the shot landed where it was supposed too.

WhIle a Chrony Chronograph gave me an idea where my velocity was, I didn't feel it was accurate enough to say my loads were right. With the addition of the Magnetospeed, it has shown me my reloading practices are sound.

I want to thank all the members here because this site is where I picked up all my tips to produce accurate ammo.

Hopefully with more trigger time I can even improve on that!
Shooting with the Magnetospeed attached to the barrel will make your groups funky.

Shooting with the Magnetospeed attached to the barrel will make your groups funky.
I've noticed little change in accuracy with a magneto speed. Last time I used it, my groups actually opened up after I took it off, but the amount was negligible. POI changes without question.

Very true, but you get your base line for drops and confirm your "receipe" (combination of components) is where it should be for accurate long range shooting.

If MOA of "dead deer" is all the accuracy you need under 300yds you don't need to be so exact on you combo of components.

When I get good ES and SD values but the groups aren't as tight as I would like, I play with seating depth. I'll load up 4 that are 0.005" deeper and 4 that are 0.005" longer. Then I see what the rifle tells me and which way I need to go (if any from that point). I've rarely had to go more than 0.005" longer or shorter to get dialed in.

morning, NO BODY MASTERS RELOADING. a day on the bench,
a day on the range is a never ending education.
way to many varibles in consideration in this
education. justme gbot tum

morning, NO BODY MASTERS RELOADING. a day on the bench,
a day on the range is a never ending education.
way to many varibles in consideration in this
education. justme gbot tum

+1
An interesting observation of my own from many years of shooting and reloading. When I was young, I took to shooting like a duck to water. I practiced hard and became a good shooter. I entered many different types of competitions in order to become proficient in all the shooting sports.

The fact that each sport had rules and you kept score, It was easy to see the/an improvement in my shooting and what worked and what didn't.

I reloaded because of expense and as long as my scores kept getting better I was satisfied. As I got older, and my shooting prowess seemed to fade I started relying on better reloads to take up the slack. This is when I found out the value of precision ammo.

So now that I am older, I rely on my ammo to make the difference and I also have more time to do a much better job of it. I will do what ever it takes to make even the smallest improvements to my ammo.
I once made a change in primers on one very accurate load, and gained .004 thousandths in group size. I still use the same primer for that load and it still shoots under 1/10th MOA in spite of my shooting.

To bad I didn't figure it out when I was shooting matches. if I can see the difference now, I know I could have taken advantage of better ammo when I was younger and a much better shot.

The point is, don't rely on one thing to improve your shooting ability.
Build accurate rifles, load accurate/precision ammo and work on shooter skills at the same time. Don't wait to learn how to load great ammo or build accurate rifles like I did.

It takes a lifetime of reloading to get it right and you never get it perfect if you are trying. read as much as you can and experiment with each change to see if it is better or just more internet garbage
from some self proclaimed expert. You will never know unless you try it your self.

J E CUSTOM

Sometimes when the stars align and you get SDs and ESs under control and groups reflect you can feel that your reloading game is on point. Then you will get that one rifle that will make you question everything you know lol. Some calibers are just quirky and take some reloading work. Those harder calibers to tweak is what I think makes you get better and better. Plus it gives me more reasons to frequent the gun range! This site can teach you a whole lot, and there are some highly proficient reloaders here. There are a ton of different reloading procedures people have adopted to get these perfect loads and I love hearing them. But the beauty of this site is everyone is for the most part open minded, willing to share information and not super critical when concerning their methods to be the end all do all!

If shooting at 200 yards it could be the wind. Watch for the wind. A lot of good loads get tossed to the side every day due to wind. If it's your poor shooting habits most of the time you will know if you make a poor shot. You just need to be honest with yourself that you did it and roll on. Its Just my 2 cents

Yeah, I'm my own worst enemy at the range.

I went again to the range last Friday getting ready for a long weekend hunt.

Tested velocity on a load for the Grendel, it was Google to go. So I broke out the 6.5 Creedmoor and 6.5x284. It was one of my best days behind a rifle in a while. No pics of the tages because of time, but trust me. It looked like I knew what I was doing out to 300yds. I had one group you could cover with a quarter.

Moved down to the 600yds steel and my spotter called three hits that the bullet splatter was touching. But I've don't have any problem shooting steel or rocks...paper kills me!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.