Hats off to Savage

sniperjwt

I shot my 300 WSM once before at 1000 yards with a slight breeze and managed to shoot a 16" group so i got the chance to try it again with no wind early one morning. The gun is a Savage model 11. I got it off of a trade several months back and have fell in love. The only thing i have done to it is put a choate stock on it. Its pre accutrigger so it is an older model. So anyway here is the group.
97c14c65.jpg

11.5 inches center to center
I am very happy out of this near stock gun. I only wish it had a heavier, longer barrel on it so it did not get so hot so fast. After 3 shots its done for about 15 minutes. Oh well im not going to complain. The trigger on it is crap about 4-5 pounds and a half mile of creap. Also only have a cheap tasco 4-16-40 pronghorn scope on it.

Good shooting, and yes those Savages are surprising rifles. I have two 112BVSS's and they both shoot incredibly. Thanks for sharing. JohnnyK.

Nice group...an easy and worthwhile investment would be an adjustable Rifle Basix trigger. The one they make for that gun is superb.

I too have an older Savage it's a model 112 in 22-250. Its trigger was crap also. I replaced it with a Timney and it's set at 1.5# it now shoots constant .250 groups.:D

I don't think there is much more to say!:D Good shooting. With a little more practice and a better scope you can expect that group to shrink a few inches.

Tank

From Sniperjwt:
Also only have a cheap tasco 4-16-40 pronghorn scope on it.
And from Liltank:
With a little more practice and a better scope you can expect that group to shrink a few inches.

Maybe. Or maybe this shows you don't need a $1,500 scope to get 1MOA at 1,000 yards. Then again, maybe even a crap rifle and/or scope can occasionally put 3 shots into a foot at that distance.

Nice shootin' Sniperjwt. Think you can do it a second time?

Disclaimer: I'm in no way criticizing Savage rifles or Sniperjwt's skills. I own a couple Savage's and think highly of them. And I've never met Sniperjwt. I'd be pretty pleased with myself to place 'em on target like that at over 1/2 a mile. I'd be much more pleased to do it consistently. Remember, Team Savage does awfully well in F-Class competitions with stock Savage rifles.

the sharpshooter competition trigger is very good also. very easy to install, no modifacations at all. about $120 from brownells or direct from sharpshooters supply.
good shooters with good equiptment are usually pretty consistant. unfortunatly conditions cant be counted on.

Nice job! My stevens is the only "cheap" gun I've ever had that shoots. I bought it mostly for the action to use on a build, and it's the most fun $300 gun I've had. I've only shot to 622yard, but was happy with a 6.07" group. Keep it up.

Natty, not knock'in any of this thread. I think it is outstanding what he is doing. I use a buckmaster Nikon for my shooting, 6-18x40 w/ target dot. Not an expensive scope by any stretch. I think it is great to see a factory grade trigger and barrel producing that kind of group. Goes to prove that sporter contour barrels can still reach out there effectively.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.