Has anyone tested the impact .05 grains has on velocity?

When I got my Chargemaster, I didn't like how it operated. I reprogrammed the sequence of when the speeds change and got much faster and more accurate drops. I agree that the speed and precision offered by the system is worth it. I also tested it with my beam scale and while it wasn't quite as good, the holes on the paper didn't change. I find that most of my loads could be plus or minus 0.2 grains and still shoot very well.
I saw a reloading video by David Tubb on youtube where he said dropping charges (not trickling) was accurate enough for 1000 yard Palma shooting.

I have done a fair amount of chronographing several of my loads over the years at the .1gr increment level. Depending on the particular powder, I would get 4-6FPS per .1gr when testing near(ie. within 50 FPS), but not in excess of max pressure. Calibers were .243-.308.

I didn't have time to read all the other posts, but this is why using the OCW method is so important for load development. Heat could have a larger impact than .5 or .05 grains will. Once that barrel heats up or the weather you may experience crazy SD's and ES's.

I'd try another OCW test and round Robin it and see how your loads do.

There are many factors that can impact SD, but from my decades of BR and other precise shooting, a kernel or two or even a .1gr of powder was never one of my concerns. Primer consistency, flash hole, brass uniformity, neck tension, bullet jump, bore smoothness, bullet style and make, shoulder dimensions, temperature changes (internal and external), etc, etc were much more of a concern than a kernel of powder.

The ladder test is for finding a load that is more tolerant of those minor variations. Without the ladder test it would be much more difficult to interpret the meaning of SD numbers from the chronograph. As we are pushing the limits of sanity with seriously LONGrange hunting many of the BR competition brass prep and loading tricks can be useful but in the field the wind, accurately measured distance, altitude density, your position, trigger pull and at least a dozen other variables will obscure the effects of any SD improvements beyond a reasonable level. I am not saying you should not work for the best SD you can get, which can be very rewarding in its own perfectionist kind of good way, just suggesting there may be better areas for accuracy improvement for a given level of spending the all mighty dollar which for most of us, is the primary limiting factor and wildest variable.

I bet everyone here already knows this, just playing the role of Captain Obvious with a reality check.
The low hanging fruit can be surprisingly good stuff!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.