Has this ever happend to anyone???

Firearrow

I was out working a new load today for my 300 mag, and something strange happend. I started my loads off at 67.0gr on the lower end, and was going up by 0.5 gr. Each time I went to the new weight I would gain about 1.0 moa, until I hit 70.0 gr, and then it was only very suttle differences. Has this ever happend to anyone else? Is this a tell tail sign that my rifle doesn't like ligther loads? Maybe I cant shoot to save my life?lightbulb Just thought I would throw it out there, and see if anyone has had this happen to them before.

Sounds like a demonstration of the basic premise of the Audette method of choosing an accuracy node.

The Audette ladder test is as follows:

1. Load 1 bullet at each powder charge going up in steady increments, example 67.0, 67.5, 68.0, 68.5, 69.0, 69.5, 70.0, 70.5, 71.0

2. Shoot at 300 yards, 100 yards is too close to notice the difference

3. Shoot with the same point of aim, starting at the lowest and going to the highest

4. You must be able to label each shot on the target, either with spotting scope or going down to look at the target after each shot

5. The shots will go progressively up the target because of velocity increase, but you are looking for 3 or so shots that group together

The theory is that if you load within that 3 or 4 shot group then any minor variations in velocity or loading techniques will not move your point of impact much.

Here is a poor example

DSCN0914.jpg

supposedly if I loaded somewhere around the 5, 6 and 7 loads then that would be an accuracy node. The POI are close because that is a level spot in velocity.

You can never guess what a rifle will like. Some rifles with certain powders will come to their milk at the top end loads, and this will usually occur with the slower burn rate powder for caliber. I load for accuracy and if the most accurate load also happens with top end velocity that is just icing on the cake. I have been shooting test loads over my chonograph on certain occasions and have seen the velocity drop after reaching a certain level of charge.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.