Has anyone managed a 1000 yard shot with a Mosin?

Back when I was real big into old military rifles we would regularly take these rifles shooting at least once a week. We shot long range from 300-800yds with Mosins, Arisakas, Lee Enfields, Mausers, SKSs, AKs, M1 Garands, Lebels, Berthiers and many others. All of them shot surprisingly well at long range. We would shoot half gallon and gallon sized milk jugs from 3-500yds and those were easily hit from prone position and from off hand we could nail them either on the second or third shot. For the Mosins, SKS, and AK we shot surplus shells and rarely reloaded for them to do the availability and affordability of the surplus stuff. Everything else we hand load for. I have no doubt anyone of them could make hits on a man sized silhouette out to 1000yds. We shot at and hit a 12 inch sandstone at 850yds before with the Mosins prone and offhand so 1000 is definitely doable, especially from a bench. All lf these rifles are a blast to shoot and they really improve and help out my off hand shooting and ability with iron sights.

Why the trigger vs. lets say the stock or the bolt? Just asking as I do not know.
I wouldn't drop a lot of $$ on a $150 dollar rifle. You can get along with the stock easier than you can get by with a ten # trigger. You can't hit what you can't see, so the scope would be next on my list. If you feel froggy I'd then think about getting a good stock for it. The bolt likely wouldn't need much work other than getting trued so both lugs bear well, but you would only really need to do that if she doesn't contact evenly.

The mosin has a floating bolt head so it usually does not require truing. I do agree the trigger is usually very stiff. Timney makes a great trigger for it. Including the $100 I originally paid for the rifle I have $500 in the setup in the above picture. That's not counting the glass. Just the rifle. But it was an extremely fun project to work on and ill do another one day probably. This one has shot many many .3" - .4" groups at 100 yards and many many sub 1/2 Moa groups at 500 and 750 yards and it is **** fun to shoot. Everytime I go out for a range day I have this rifle with me. Have killed a few deer with it too. One was a large 9 pt that I literally shot right through the heart at 345 yards.

Hello,

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dQpY9muGj8"]
mqdefault.jpg
[/ame]

1Grizzman.

I made the sights for this rifle. He also has a trigger of mine, but I don't think he has it on this 91/30 but is saving it for another project.

I'm not the shot he is, but it's my job to know the Mosin platform and will say that it's more than capable.

The Finns knew this, and their M39 had to shoot a maximum of 1.3moa to be issued to the regular soldier!

If interested, please see Smith-Sights .

Regards,

Josh

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.