Harvesting game

Makes me think about all the times I got back from hunting and someone asked if I caught anything. Made me laugh sometimes and when I was young I corrected people and in the process embarrassed em a bit. It didn't take long for me to see they were just being friendly, so now I answer either, I killed a whatever or no I didn't get anything.
As far as "harvest" goes, I don't use it but don't mind a bit if someone puts a gentler term on killing that infers use of the meat. I hear it more and more especially in professional circles. If it helps put a non hunter at ease a little, then great. I love it when I hear a magazine called a clip because it is a great way to quickly determine the firearm IQ of someone.

I think harvest is used more by conservation groups, biologists, celebrity hunters and Fish & Game agencies than "dudes" but I absolutely get what you're saying. I don't say harvest but I think the people that do mean well. Last thing I want to do is argue words with a fellow hunter or censor someone's speech. Unless they continually call a mag a clip, then FTG.

1: the season for gathering in agricultural crops
the beginning of the harvest

2: the act or process of gathering in a crop
assisting neighbors in their harvest

3a: a mature crop (as of grain or fruit) : YIELD
bountiful harvests

b: the quantity of a natural product gathered in a single season
the salmon harvest
timber harvests

4: an accumulated store or productive result
a harvest of revenue

Being triggered by clip or harvest, by definition, makes you a snowflake, doesn't it?

Last edited:
Depending on where I hunt, I may be required by law to keep a harvest ledger for game birds.

I may be required to fill out a hunter harvest survey at the end of the season, for big game.

This does not seem odd to me.

I think the semantics around the term are a bit odd however...

One can harvest meat from an animal without hunting (i.e. roadkill)

One could be a successful hunter without harvesting anything (i.e. trophy hunter).

In no way are the two terms interchangable.

I've been rubbed the wrong way by someone using the word inappropriately - I don't think someone should say "I harvested a moose" when all they did was shoot the thing, and the outfitter and/or guide did all the work.

I thought I understood what the OP was getting at, but...

You dont 'harvest' an animal. You shoot it or kill it or hunt it.

As I see it, all of the above;

Step 1. Locate animal ( Hunt )
Step 2. Kill animal ( Shoot )
Step 3. Retrieve animal ( Harvest )

1: the season for gathering in agricultural crops
the beginning of the harvest

2: the act or process of gathering in a crop
assisting neighbors in their harvest

3a: a mature crop (as of grain or fruit) : YIELD
bountiful harvests

b: the quantity of a natural product gathered in a single season
the salmon harvest
timber harvests

4: an accumulated store or productive result
a harvest of revenue

Being triggered by clip or harvest, by definition, makes you a snowflake, doesn't it?
^^^This!^^^
Another despicable term used so the Buttercups feelings are not hurt.
Sad but true!
I think we are over thinking this. What ever we call it we know what it means. Let it go.

It's like the cartridge vs caliber, many don't know the difference and most don't care, so move on.

There are more important things in life, just my $0.02

Stay safe
Yep!

Some people feed, grow and generally tend to their deer herd as a farmer does their planted crop. I dont think it's that much of a stretch to say harvest. But to each their own. Use it or don't, get angry or dont when someone does use it. I wont be bothered either way because I don't have the time or energy to get up set over something so small 😉

Now call a mag a clip around me.. that's a different story.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.