Game processing

chrisr

In my goal of being more self sufficient and hopefully saving a few bucks down the road I've been looking into processing my own deer and hog. I was hoping to get some suggestions and pointers on equipment from guys on here that process their own game. I realize it will take a few years to break even on the money spent but I do eat a lot of game and wild hog processing around here is expensive. Due to space limits commercial sized equipment is out so I have been looking at the LEM products and they seem to be along the lines of what I'm looking for. I like how you can add the cuber and mixer attachments that run off the grinder. How is the quality of the LEM equipment? Thanks

I have always cut my own game meat. Other than a few good knives all I use is a small grinder, just up graded to a lems this year, and a food saver vacuum sealer. I dont have a suasage stuffer so I just make patty style. I also have a smoker for jerky. The cost of all of the equipment is less than the cost of haveing one animal done at the local processor. In my opinion you dont need a saw for game meat, just bone everything. A big plus of doing it your self is its cut and packaged the way you want it. There is enough expense in hunting with out paying for processing.

I would really go at least 3/4 HP and #12 or larger throat. I am going to buy a seperate stuffer for the next batch that I do. I built a smoker and the summer sausage, sticks and jerkey last forever when vacuum sealed. The grinding and stuffing is really effected by temperature of the meat. I do a first grind and spread it out on cookie sheets and then it goes back in the fridge/freezer before further processing. I buy pork shoulder at sams and mix about 15 percent in to summer sausage, sticks and breakfast sausage.

Thanks for the tips guys. I wasn't going to worry about a saw as my space is limited. Is there any other brands besides LEM I should consider?

If you have cabelas, gander or bass pro close go with their brand. Gander replaced a 5 year old grinder for free with a better model when I broke one.

Nothing better than bringing home your own meat then processing it at home knowing the quality that goes into it!!

I ran a large wildgame processing plant for several years and since then my buddy and I have been processing game for our families and friends, we still run 20+ elk and the same number of deer through with a very modest amount of equipment.

Look at the Cabelas for your grinder, it's thee best grinder available for the money, I have the #32 and I've probably put 150+ elk through it and it's been SOLID! I would advise to get a second knife and keep the knife and plates together, they will run longer between sharpenings. This grinder is heavy duty, it's the closest one I've ran close to the commercial units I had, the reverse switch is handy when swapping plates.

The LEM mixer is excellent, having it tilt to dump makes it much easier for unloading and it breaks down for cleaning, very good tool! The LEM brown sugar ham kit is INCREDIBLE when you pump up a deer or elk tender loin and smoke it!!!!!

I get a lot of goodies at butcher-packer dot com!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.