Dressing out game?

Gman98

How many of you guys dressed out or quartered your first big game animal? I unfortunately didn't because it was gut shot and we weren't able to recover it till morning, so it was a mess and my father told me to let him do it, and when your 13, you don't argue with your father! But every animals since, I've done the deed.

Alex

I've done all my own and multiples for others. My dad was more the type to let me jump right in and fail, if I didn't follow directions. He is partially disabled now, and I do his deer, without instruction.:)

the first one I did was a disaster my dad showed me how and stood there as I did it yelling that I was wrong I had hair all over it so dad cleaned it up and showed me what I did wrong after I learned how to do it right I got stuck doing it for everybody while they were drinkin beer and watching now after 23 years I think back and laugh now I can skin a deer and have it quartered in less than a half hour **** i wish he was still here

I still have pictures of the first deer I dressed and skinned. It was dads deer and it was couple years before I could legally hunt, so maybe 10. Blood from head to toe, but what an experience for a young man, I remember almost all of it. As with many others, I now take care of what seems to be everyone elses, especially the wife and daughters. They have no problem shooting them, helping, holding a leg but they would rather not do all the dirty work. Some day they might come around. My son on the other hand, he is square in the middle of it as I was.

I'm the only hunter in my family so yes I did and I was self-taught (mostly learned the basics while helping out in my parents' meat market business in the 1970s). I've fished and shot with my late Dad and late brother but neither one hunted or cared to.

Having said that, I made sure both my boys (now 25 and 23) experienced it; they hunted on their own at age 10. :cool:

I still have pictures of the first deer I dressed and skinned. It was dads deer and it was couple years before I could legally hunt, so maybe 10. Blood from head to toe, but what an experience for a young man, I remember almost all of it. As with many others, I now take care of what seems to be everyone elses, especially the wife and daughters. They have no problem shooting them, helping, holding a leg but they would rather not do all the dirty work. Some day they might come around. My son on the other hand, he is square in the middle of it as I was.

That's very similar to me. Whenever my friends kill an animal I'm the first one there to get bloody and get thing taken care of. Even my dad's animals. He's older now, 63, so I pretty much do all the heavy stuff and he stands back and let's me go. He's good at the logistics and I'm the worker.

My first kill was an antelope, I gutted and skinned it with my dad and two other hunters. My first buck, I was 7 miles from the truck, 2 miles from camp. Did it all by myself, I think I was 15. I carried and dragged it back myself. Full grown mule deer are heavy!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.