Hart/Krieger/Bartlein --Smithing services

swampninja

Hello this is my first post here and am currently soliciting opinions on this topic on another forum.I am Looking to build a tactical style .308 and was looking at the Hart/Bartlein/Krieger websites and saw that they offer barrel fitting and action blueprinting services in addition to selling barrels. These services seemed very competitive price wise and I am trying to do as much of the work myself as I can i.e. stock, bedding, trigger,duracoat etc.---- So my question is has anyone used there gunsmithing services if so details please. I know there barrels are very good, Just trying to figure out if I would be better off to buy the barrel and send it to a good smith or use the MFR to do the work and save a few bucks and months of waiting, However I will not sacrifce accuracy and reliability to save a few bucks

They are putting their name on the line as it's their barrel. Bartlein requires truing the
action. About a year wait time with them, don't know about the others. That is why so
many recommend using a custom action. For 150.00 to 200.00 more you have the
best.

I have a Savage Model 12 that started life as a 22-250. I then had SSS install a Douglas in 6.5=284, and true the action, install heavy recoil lug, their target trigger, etc. This rifle was very competitive for 1,100 rounds. Then, like many of that caliber, it opened up. So, I ordered a new chambered barrel in same caliber from Pac Nor. After 350 rounds, I have given up on getting it to shoot. Returned it to PacNor, and they allegedly found nothing wrong with it. I have not shot it since.

Bottom line is, getting a new hummer barrel is a crapshoot. Tht manufacturers you mention all have great reputations. I am not certain some of them might send barrels out for chambering. But there are no guarantees. Roll the dice and take your chances.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.