Hard chrome

bugle-em

Looking to HARD CHROME a 721 rem action.Dont know what it will do to tolerances,and if finish will be unform.Need some input and references. Thank you.gun)​

I would call someone who does the hard chroming and ask them. I know that the military went away from Hard chroming barrels because the chrome adds to the metal. So barrels have to be specially made anticipating the addition of the chrome.

Not knowing why you wish to hard chrome I can't say yea or nay. Weather resistance however I would use any number of paint options and I would Ferratic Nitride before anything else if its for the weather.

Neal

I would call someone who does the hard chroming and ask them. I know that the military went away from Hard chroming barrels because the chrome adds to the metal. So barrels have to be specially made anticipating the addition of the chrome.

Not knowing why you wish to hard chrome I can't say yea or nay. Weather resistance however I would use any number of paint options and I would Ferratic Nitride before anything else if its for the weather.

Neal

you can also do electroless nickle, and that will be hard as nails. They can plate electroless nickle as thin as .000050", and it follows contours far better than chrome. I've seen screws plated and they went right together as if they were machined that way.
gary

You are likely looking at 6/1,000 of an inch buildup if you want to hard chrome an action. Most actions have room for that, so it's likely possible, but the question is, "Why?".

Chrome if you want a mirror finish. Nothing else will give that to you. Chrome plating tends to not be uniform as the electrical fields attracting the plating are stronger in some areas than others.

If you are looking for weather protection, electroless nickel gives a more uniform coating & is rustproof. Yes, chrome is a harder metal & nickel can scratch, but nickel is the plating of choice for weather protection.

Other choices to ponder for weather protection are any of the chemical based coatings or the baked on enamel paints.

For the ultimate foul-weather hunting rifle, I recommend nickel plating followed by a baked on enamel gun paint.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.