Votes: 44 18.6%
  • 16-20

Votes: 29 12.2%
  • 21-25

Votes: 15 6.3%
  • > 25

Votes: 36 15.2%

• Total voters
Just a simple poll on the number of cartridges you currently load for, when you began, and what was the first cartridge/shell you began loading?

If you once did but no longer load for a specific cartridge/s, tell us why you stopped.

Currently, I load for 52 cartridges, and I began in 1973 with 12ga shells then moved up to 357/38 pistol and 30-06 rifle.
1975 222mag and 12ga then moved up to 3006 and 270win I load everything I shoot except rimfire up to something around 20 calibers or gauges

I've been handloading since 1988. Totally different now to then in both equipment and technique.
I have dropped handloading for 222RM (no brass), 416RM sold it because the 416 Rigby is far better, 375 Flanged sold the double rifle, 404 Jeffrey sold the rifle, 458WM sold the rifle, 458 Lott sold the rifle, 450 Rigby sold the rifle, 425 Wesley Richards sold the rifle, 470 Nitro sold the double rifle and 505 Gibbs sold the rifle regrettably. All had die sets that went with the rifles.

Cheers.
I have a bottle 416 Rigby brass never been fired. Let me know if you're interested.

I started with full-power .357 Mag in 2007 and almost ended my reloading career then and there. I'd inherited an old Llama .357 revolver and when I test-fired my first 6 cartridges the side of the barrel blew out! Reviewed my reloading process and recipe and found nothing wrong, then researched the Llama and found they were notorious for using weak steel during the era my gun was made. Bought a S&W 686+ and the same load worked fine in it.

Today I reload for 6 pistol and 4 rifle calibers as well as 3 shotgun gauges.

Started in 1976 , RCBS rock crusher, .308 Win. through the years and currently loading 8MM Mauser (I just really like this cartridge), .300 WSM, .233 Rem. .300 Blackout, .68 SPC, .45 ACP, .44 Mag .41 Mag, .40 Smith, .357 Mag, 9mm and .38 Special for my wife's carry revolver, 12 and 20 Ga shotgun. All loading now on 2 separate Dillon press' and Mec Grabbers for the shotgun.

I started in 1969 with a Lyman 310 tool in 30-06 and upgraded to an RCBS Jr. press in 72 which came with dies and shell holder new for under $30. Since then I have loaded for about a dozen or so different calibers and gauges. It has been a fun journey and education with a lot of satisfaction of a job well done. I couldn't begin to guess how many rounds that were loaded; thousands would be a best guess.

Last edited:
50+ years for me though I did take a significant pause when I lived in CA and FL for a few years.

I started with 12 ga on a Texan press and .308 Win on a Rock Chucker. I quit loading 12 ga because the factory stuff took abuse better in the field so I eventually gave away the Texan press a couple years ago. I still have the Rock Chucker and some other things I picked up along the way. With the exception of 9mm, I prefer to roll my own for all my centerfire activities now. Especially for precision rifle work, the stuff I produce performs better for me than the factory stuff.

Don't really know exactly when I started. I remember seating bullets for my dad when I was 8-10yrs old. Not long after he had me loading all my own shells for hunting. Think I started with .270 then on to 7x57. Since then I've loaded .17 Hornet on up to 28N. Never pulled a lever on any manbuns as I refuse to own one. But my son has 3 of them so we'll see howit works out. If I don't load for something anymore it's because I sold, or gave away the gun. I currently load for .17 Hornet, .223, .223AI, .22-250, .22-250AI, 243AI, .257AI, 7-08, 7mag, 28Nosler, and .30-06. And thinking about building a .25 Sherman SST in the near future. Seems like a great alternative to either manbun cartridge.
Oh yea, loaded 12 and 20ga shells as a kid too. Posness Warren progressive and a Mec 600. I still have a Mec 600jr and single stage PW sitting in the garage in case I need more shotgun shells.

Been wanting to get into handloading since I was around 10, I remember reading reloading articles and looking at load data as a youngin' even though I didn't know anybody that did. 2018 for our first kid I was required to relinquish my hunting room to become a baby room, and moved in a shop which finally gave me a spot to load. Caught a rcbs Supreme Master kit half off at a local shop and that was a wrap, been a money pit ever since, although reloading spending has slowed drastically as I built up what I felt was sufficient stock and prices went thru the roof for rona. Now loading mostly on a dillon 550 but the rock chucker does see some use.

Loading 5.56, 6mm ARC, .243, 6.5cm, 300blk, .308, 30-30ai, 9mm, .357 mag, 10mm, .458 socom, and 45-70, all but 45-70 and 30-30ai on the dillon.

0 regrets, I can load better ammo than I can buy, am insulated from shortages, and NOW spend $0 for top notch ammo or range fodder, whatever my goal is for the session. Just load it from my stockpile, I have acquired pretty much all the components I'll need for a good while.

I answered 16-20 on your poll. Though, I do not actively load for all of these presently…..I do have the capability!

I guess that the "survivalist" in me requires that I have the ability to reload for cartridges that I don't actually use in a worst case scenario! I even have bullet molds to cast for everything I have, with the exception of the 0.224's! 😉 memtb
Oh dear that's yet another rabbit hole I know darn well I will be getting lost in, but not yet.

In addition to shotshell loading I wanna get into bullet casting someday. But I know it's best not to even look at it at this point 🤣

But the 8mm Mauser, the .358 Norma, and dads .30-30 seem like they'd be especially prudent to cast for

Great thread ! I started in 1975. I just turned 66. First 7mm Rem Mag. then 22-250 then etc. Went through all the Lee Loader stage. Now reload for 15 rifle and 11 pistol cartridge's. Won another rifle in 257 Weatherby. Been testing with it the last 2 weeks. Nice round. I guess that makes 16.