Handgun bullet for Deer

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Iron Worker, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Iron Worker

Iron Worker Well-Known Member

Out of a 44 magnum,what's a great Mule deer bullet ?

2. Dr. Vette

Dr. Vette Well-Known Member

3. just country

just country Well-Known Member

morning, 240gr. XTP HP. pure hammer. TUM

waltercrouse likes this.
  4. Waynzee

Waynzee Well-Known Member

300 gr. Nosler JHP on top of 20 grs. of H110 powder. Deer or Bear it'll knock em over within reasonable handgun distance.

5. HARPERC

HARPERC Well-Known Member

Not to many .44 bullets unsuitable for deer. The Speer 270 grain is a favorite.

6. waltercrouse

waltercrouse Well-Known Member

Barnes factory 44 mag copper bullets do very well and have put down deer and pig.

7. kweidner

kweidner Well-Known Member

Have killed scores of deer with a 44 and 41 mag. Find the widest meplat you can. Before i was commercially casting i used the 300 xtp with tremendous success. I now use a wfn or my 250 keith hollowpoint. All these plant em where they stand. It works nothing like rifle. Those wide nose bullets hit like a sledge hammer. I have never had to track a deer hit with a handgn.

Waynzee, waltercrouse and HARPERC like this.
  8. JOHNNIE WALKER

JOHNNIE WALKER Well-Known Member

I've shot quite a few deer with the the 44 mag round from both the lever gun and the revolver. It's one of my favorite rounds. XTP bullets are very accurate, but I'm not a fan of using them on game. Ive had to many bad experiences with them. The nosler 240 gr JHP is my go to bullet for deer. Very accurate, nice mushroom, great penetration, and affordable. It's expansion rate seems to be very consistent at various speeds and ranges. IMO, it's a very nice deer bullet. My freezer, my grill, my skillet, and my stomach agree.

waltercrouse likes this.
  9. Waynzee

Waynzee Well-Known Member

Yep, I like the Nosler JHP bullet too. I've shot both deer and bear with that 300 grain bullet in a Ruger Super Redhawk.

waltercrouse likes this.
  10. DartonJager

DartonJager Well-Known Member

I could be wrong, but I strongly suspect the Hornady XTP has killed more deer than any other HG bullet out there. I've used them in my 44 Dan Wesson and my Encore 209x50 and they have performed superbly on every deer I have taken and two elk. MV with my 44 was IIRC 1300fps and the Encore ML was 2018fps (killed two elk with this load) so the standard XTP is capable of handling a wide variation of velocities and still perform superbly.
    IN a 44 magnum, you can likely do as good as an XTP but not likely better.

11. Ernie

Ernie SPONSOR

240 grain Sierra JHP and Swift A-frames

12. blumboss33

blumboss33 Well-Known Member

.44 Magnum ammunition for deer hunting or Hornady Custom 240 Grain

13. snookntarpon

snookntarpon Well-Known Member

240 gr XTP. All I shoot. shot a few dozen deer with them. I find them a little hard for whitetail so I open them up a little on a drill press. 1350 fps 231 grains. Hollow point opens to 0.125" diameter and .200" depth.
    This seems to knock them over fast.