Hammers

necessary?? No, but it helps if you crimp. If you can't get a Lee Factory Crimp Die, then more neck tension will be route you want to go
Could the built in crimp feature in the seating dye be used? I've never crimped so it's new to me!!

If you have enough neck tnesion, you may not need to. I do not on my 308 and RUM and it does well with multiple weights.

I do it with a 7 mag and a creedmoor and not sure I need to, but the small nearing surface to grip under recoil makes me feel better.

If you have enough neck tnesion, you may not need to. I do not on my 308 and RUM and it does well with multiple weights.

I do it with a 7 mag and a creedmoor and not sure I need to, but the small nearing surface to grip under recoil makes me feel better.
So are you doing this so that the bullets in the cartridges in your magazine stay in place?

Yes. Above.
Crimping almost always improves sd and es. It gives more consistant start to the bullets (both Hunters and Absolutes). Start with a light crimp (1/8 turn). Go up til you find pressure with your powder charge. Back off 1 grain and shoot groups.
Adjust powder and get best load. Do final tuning by adjusting final crimp in 1/8th turns. Your groups will open and close (just like changing powder does). When done, you'll have your best, most accurate load.
Holding bullets snugly in a magazine is an ancillary benefit.