Jumping Hammers

WeiserBucks

Due to mag length, I'm going to be jumping my Hammer Bullets .200" . Are they going to handle the jump or am I wasting my time?

1st time Hammer user .

...........So far in the half dozen rifles I've loaded Hammers in, I just pick mag length and run with it. I have only messed with powder charge, not seating depth and they all shot well enough that I never tried.......

Same here, so far. Obviously a try it and see proposition, but going in I'd say Hammer's have the best chance of success.

Not seating depth sensitive from the 4 different cartridges I've tried them in

Wondering if the Hammers were designed for only custom barrels. I have two which would qualify for Hammer suggested twist. Would be nice for factory twist rifle owners (the majority) to access another style bullet.

Wondering if the Hammers were designed for only custom barrels. I have two which would qualify for Hammer suggested twist. Would be nice for factory twist rifle owners (the majority) to access another style bullet.
Factory 338 win mag is shooting them good

....Wondering if the Hammers were designed for only custom barrels. I have two which would qualify for Hammer suggested twist. Would be nice for factory twist rifle owners (the majority) to access another style bullet....

Could you expand on this?

Could you expand on this?

Bullets on the heavier end. Example - 115 Berger .25 cal shoots in 1:10. Hammer .25 cal must be much lighter to shoot in 1:10. I have a faster than factory .277 cal rifle which is ok for the Hammers and a .224. My comment was on behalf of the multitude of factory rifle owners as well. Perhaps Hammer overlooked this market, or are in the custom barrel niche.

I've been looking at these bullets lately. I did notice they have come out with a 196gr .308 bullet that requires a 1-10" twist barrel so maybe they will start making a few heavier bullets for standard twist barrels in different calibers.

Bullets on the heavier end. Example - 115 Berger .25 cal shoots in 1:10. Hammer .25 cal must be much lighter to shoot in 1:10. I have a faster than factory .277 cal rifle which is ok for the Hammers and a .224. My comment was on behalf of the multitude of factory rifle owners as well. Perhaps Hammer overlooked this market, or are in the custom barrel niche.

It would seem just the opposite to me. Hammer has produced many lighter bullets in virtually every caliber to accommodate standard twist barrels. Copper bullets are naturally going to be longer then a comparable lead bullet thus requiring a faster twist.
Simply using a lighter bullet (which is shorter) will lessen the need for a non-standard twist. Its not any different than any of the other mono-metal bullets. Heavy monos are just long.
BTW - I am shooting Hammers with exceptional results on paper in 6.5 Creed, 30 Nosler, 7 WSM and 338 RUM, all of which have standard twist barrels.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.