Hammer performance on coyotes

• Thread starter Deleted member 115360
  • Start date
While I have yet to get into the field with it 44 grain HH in a .220 Swift at 4200 fps at 4000'. By the way that was the Hogdon book starting load of H380, 40.5 g. Absolutely 0 pressure signs and I went fast enough for me could have been up to ???? Tight group as well never could get the TSX to shoot in it. 1 of two loadings so far that have been overly fast but safe in my opinion others have been more believable velocity. Try faster powder in those other guns Butterbean?

I'll let you know in a couple of weeks!

Just developed a load for my 6GT using the 80gr HH, getting 3325fps and single digit ES. Its probably the most excited I've been about developing a load. Found my max using Varget, backed off a grain and seated the bullet .025 and that's it! Shoots literally one ragged hole.

Our deer season ends in a couple of weeks and I have a bunch of coyotes that will get all my attention during February!

Guys, please don't take any of this wrong as I don't mean it to be taken as anything but it's face value.

Why does anyone need a bullet that costs $1 each to shoot coyotes? If you were shooting 800 or more yards it could probably be justified, but for most I can't see it. The farthest I've killed a coyote so far with my 22-250 is about 325 yards and I did it with the same bullet that has taken groundhogs out to 470 yards, and I'd trust that bullet on a dog that far. The bullets cost $.17 each before all the madness.

I have not tried Hammers yet. But unless you are hunting in a led-banned state, I'm curious as to why one would use a mono bullet on a coyote unless fur friendly was the objective. Out of a 243, the old 85gr SGKs do quite a number on yotes.
There isn't a reason for me not to use monos. I live in TN and my average shot on a coyote is around 150y. I have very few instances where I need to shoot beyond 300. Most of my sets are in spots so small that the longest opportunity I could possibly get are under 400y, so I'm looking for drt performance and light recoil. Hammer monos seem like a solid option.

Guys, please don't take any of this wrong as I don't mean it to be taken as anything but it's face value.

Why does anyone need a bullet that costs $1 each to shoot coyotes? If you were shooting 800 or more yards it could probably be justified, but for most I can't see it. The farthest I've killed a coyote so far with my 22-250 is about 325 yards and I did it with the same bullet that has taken groundhogs out to 470 yards, and I'd trust that bullet on a dog that far. The bullets cost $.17 each before all the madness.
You aren't wrong, but when I'm standing there in $500 in hunting clothes with a $600 call and a $3,000 rifle, the $1 bullet doesn't seem like it's all that expensive..😅😅😅

Like most of you, I sink a lot of money into things I enjoy.

Plus, I am seeing guys slinging $12 worth of tungsten at stupid turkeys every time they pull the trigger. $4 each at geese. $1 doesn't hurt too bad.
Thats why I still shoot wnchester long beard. If I cant get them within 60 then I need to call better. Killed my bird last year at 8 yards

There isn't a reason for me not to use monos. I live in TN and my average shot on a coyote is around 150y. I have very few instances where I need to shoot beyond 300. Most of my sets are in spots so small that the longest opportunity I could possibly get are under 400y, so I'm looking for drt performance and light recoil. Hammer monos seem like a solid option.
For DRT performance, You want maximum damage inside the coyote. This means driving the lightest, cup and core bullet, with the thinnest jacket you can find to the highest velocity possible. If it stays inside, very fur friendly, if it exits, there will be a mess.