Hammer performance on coyotes

• Thread starter Deleted member 115360
  • Start date
I won't comment on hammers but they are full copper bullets right? It's all about the right speed for the right bullet with coyotes. I have used bullets that maim in one gun and are perfect in another. I generally don't skin coyotes either but back in the day I used to think destroying coyotes meant that it was an ethical kill. Not necessarily always true. Too me a effective killing bullet can also be fur friendly. These days I look for a bullet with no exit most of the time. I want it to absorb it in side. Velocity + bullet combination. For example a 16" 223 shooting 55s is worthless unless you step up to a 20" barrel. If shooting 16" a 60 grain is leaps and bounds better. I have several calling rifles but my favorite combo is an 18" 6x45 shooting 70 nbt or varmageddon 3000fps. So effective it's boring. Thermal hunting or daytime. I would not shoot full copper bullets at coyotes. Let me know how it goes tho I have never done it.

I won't comment on hammers but they are full copper bullets right? It's all about the right speed for the right bullet with coyotes. I have used bullets that maim in one gun and are perfect in another. I generally don't skin coyotes either but back in the day I used to think destroying coyotes meant that it was an ethical kill. Not necessarily always true. Too me a effective killing bullet can also be fur friendly. These days I look for a bullet with no exit most of the time. I want it to absorb it in side. Velocity + bullet combination. For example a 16" 223 shooting 55s is worthless unless you step up to a 20" barrel. If shooting 16" a 60 grain is leaps and bounds better. I have several calling rifles but my favorite combo is an 18" 6x45 shooting 70 nbt or varmageddon 3000fps. So effective it's boring. Thermal hunting or daytime. I would not shoot full copper bullets at coyotes. Let me know how it goes tho I have never done it.
I've killed a handful with barnes ttsx bullets and it has been both fur friendly and devastating. It looks like it pencils in and out, but they fold like a lawn chair. I'm a big fan of those bullets for hunting at reasonable ranges, and the shock hammer concept with the wide opening seems like it might even perform better. No doubt varmegeddon bullets are great, and so are V-max, but I'm always looking to try something new.

I have been using the 31 grain Hammers in my 20-250, I easily reached 4600 fps using N550 powder. No exits and really have to look for the entrance hole. I have been using t 40 grain NBT for years, but got a wild hair and thought I'd try out the Hammers.
4600 fps? Good God. You guys don't have to lead the runners I guess. Just shoot where they were a few seconds ago, and it will get there with time to spare.

I've killed a handful with barnes ttsx bullets and it has been both fur friendly and devastating. It looks like it pencils in and out, but they fold like a lawn chair. I'm a big fan of those bullets for hunting at reasonable ranges, and the shock hammer concept with the wide opening seems like it might even perform better. No doubt varmegeddon bullets are great, and so are V-max, but I'm always looking to try something new.
I shot a coyote once with the 53 vmax out of my 22-250 with an estimated velocity of 3950 using cfe223. Shot was 250 yards and I've never seen anything go down like that before. Looks like he got struck by lightning. Never even wiggled the tail lol. No exit either

You aren't wrong, but when I'm standing there in $500 in hunting clothes with a $600 call and a $3,000 rifle, the $1 bullet doesn't seem like it's all that expensive..😅😅😅

Like most of you, I sink a lot of money into things I enjoy.
Good for you. Another internet warrior that equates $$$ with success. Nothing wrong with Hammers I suppose, but it is in this case they are an answer to a question that need not be asked. The solutions are plentiful at a fraction of the cost.

Good for you. Another internet warrior that equates $$$ with success. Nothing wrong with Hammers I suppose, but it is in this case they are an answer to a question that need not be asked. The solutions are plentiful at a fraction of the cost.
I understand your response, except for the swipe at hecouldgo....nobody equated "$$$ with success"...he's just having fun experimenting and asking if anyone's had real world experience doing this. No reason to be snarky.
Here, I'll be snarky- I've been on the Internet almost guaranteed longer than anyone here- since '81, and shooting for longer than most, since '57. So what the heck do y'all know about either that I don't!? Ha, there. (Gee it didn't make me feel any better to say that, and the truth is, I HAVE learned a lot from guys in years past here on LRH. And BTW, those dates are accurate. ARPNET, DARPA anyone?)

Post #46 insinuated that $1.00/bullet shouldn't be of concern. With respect to Shootin4fun $4000 in gear to shoot dogs is a bit much. It just strikes me as braggadocio's. Most folks in the North of Idaho that I know don't, and many can't spend that kind of money to kill coyotes. I'd be willing to bet most kill more song dogs than the average "hunter". Cup and core bullets work just fine in the service of predator hunting, even while wearing Carhartts and using mouth calls. Nothing against monos, I use them in certain applications myself. However the current supporter attitude is of concern. It smacks of group think.
BTW I'm no child with over 45 years experience hand loading. I've been on this site for awhile now myself. Rigorous debate and detailed discussion was once the norm as opposed to "how much I spend". Excuse me for expressing my discontent from time to time. Old men get crabby don't ya know.

I hunt coyotes all winter, by far the most fur friendly load I have ever used that flat knocks coyotes in a pile is 52 grain Berger Varmint out of my 22-250, most of my shots are 50-300 yards and those Bergers pencil in and just explode, almost zero hide damage unless you hit bone like the front shoulder blade, no runners or spinners just straight in a pile with a couple tail wags.

1- who cares how much anyones rig cost? How about their truck cost? Their house? Bass boat versus row boat? Or anything else. Really?
2-shoot what you want and who cares what someone else shoots.

Why does it bother anyone the cost? Don't buy whatever it is. So what if there are "cheaper" options to shoot, that is a personal choice and to each their own. The cost of ANY product is NOT a battleground for anyone. If you like the product the decision to buy and use is your own.

I shoot 87 V-Max and ALSO 80HH. Like them both a lot and shoot whatever I decide to shoot. This guy is on my bucket list!
523D468A-6C62-4EEB-A8E2-A59966E4B736.jpeg

Guys, please don't take any of this wrong as I don't mean it to be taken as anything but it's face value.

Why does anyone need a bullet that costs $1 each to shoot coyotes? If you were shooting 800 or more yards it could probably be justified, but for most I can't see it. The farthest I've killed a coyote so far with my 22-250 is about 325 yards and I did it with the same bullet that has taken groundhogs out to 470 yards, and I'd trust that bullet on a dog that far. The bullets cost $.17 each before all the madness.
Why ? because this is America and we can