Hammer Hunter 375 Cal 395 wt first taste

Sorry Steve, I forgot to mention the type of powder. I use RL26 in my 375 RUM with wonderful results. I also am looking into H4831 as a possible as I research more. Quickload gives me several "potential" powders if either of these don't work. Believe it or not I've also used Superformance in my 375 RUM with awesome accuracy at lower velocities however, it falls off very quickly. The powder has very, very small nodes.

Sorry Steve, I forgot to mention the type of powder. I use RL26 in my 375 RUM with wonderful results. I also am looking into H4831 as a possible as I research more. Quickload gives me several "potential" powders if either of these don't work. Believe it or not I've also used Superformance in my 375 RUM with awesome accuracy at lower velocities however, it falls off very quickly. The powder has very, very small nodes.

I bought a bunch of the Superformance when it came out thinking it was going to be great. I never found anything that I liked it in. I now never look to try it in new stuff.

I will be looking forward to your results with the bumped out Weatherby case. We just got our reamer yesterday for an Ackley improved .375-.338 Lapua. Years ago I had a 30-378 Weatherby. I rebarreled that rifle to 30-338 Lap imp. I found that I could push the Lap harder than the Weatherby. The brass handled it better. It was a long time ago with the Weatherby and I did not keep records then and really was just a reloader not a hand loader then. I did not know for sure what I was doing. Your project and ours will be fun to compare.

Steve

Your project sounds awesome!!!

I have a 338/375 rum improved (338 Texan) that JE Custom designed. That thing is one bad to the bone rifle. Very surprised when I tested it hard with the 300 bullets. I was dumping 116 grains of RL 33 and getting velocities of 3150. With that being said, the brass life isn't real good pushing that hard. I just wanted to see where it's limit was. The gun shoots best right at 100% case capacity and the 250 grain bullets. No pressure, and easy on brass. I tried 33, n570, RL 50 with N570 being the best.

So question is will the Zane out pave the AM. That is a really tall order. I looked at several 378 base version and settled on the AM and it's long lead times for its performance hope I didn't miss something.

My goal was just to make a cool wildcat with the 378 Weatherby. I'm not out to beat anyone or to prove anything. I just wanted to make something special for my son. It will not be long before I will be able to shoot some firefirmed loads and get some real concrete data. All the gunsmith work is completed...just waiting for me to finish up the stock and send it to Jerry. He will test fire the gun a few times and be able to see how much improvement there really is. If the 375 Zayne truly gives the AM a run, then that's a really cool bonus.

Sorry wasn't meaning it that way. I'm really just as curious. Sounds like a super cool round. Please keep us up on the final verdict as I am a huge Roy fan. I would love to do something like that with a .257 Roy. Can't wait to see yours when it's done. When you get time you should post a pic of the round loaded next to others like the lapua and Roy .375 helps wi the visual.

No worries...I didn't take it out of context. I will certainly keep everyone up to date as the build comes together. It's pretty exciting because Zayne has no idea I've done this for him. My plan is to wildcat a cartridge for each one of my children that represents them. It's been a fun project...

No worries...I didn't take it out of context. I will certainly keep everyone up to date as the build comes together. It's pretty exciting because Zayne has no idea I've done this for him. My plan is to wildcat a cartridge for each one of my children that represents them. It's been a fun project...

What wonderful idea. I sold my .454's for the opposite reason. I have no family who would enjoy them.

Hopefully Zayne has put some more meat on his bones, that thing could cause a guy a serious work out if you go long on an elk!!!!

That's super funny Rhian!! As you know Zayne started with a 270 wsm on steroids. Then to the 7 rum and now he's been shooting a 338 rum. He has certainly grown in the past couple years. In fact, my basement looks like Gold Gym with all the equipment I have down there. He has that "Incredible Hulk" mentality. He's turned into a square bail throwing machine!! He's 14, 5' 9" 140. The **** kid is chiseled out of stone.

The only hiccup I can see is the amount of powder that he will be dumping in to that case. Might take a mental toll on him when he's dumping more powder than my 375 rum!! Once he settles behind it and pulls the trigger, he won't pick up anything else.

Sometimes things simply amaze me. And this is one of them.

I've got the 395 HH fine tuned in the 375 AM at either 3118 +/-3 or 3128 +/-3 which turns out to be about 3123 with an ES of 16. I can't figure out why 3 shots will average 3118 and awhile later the same load produces 3128 FPS.

At 300 yards velocity difference makes no measurable difference. At 1126 yards it makes no noticeable difference. When the driver is in the "zone" the largest group sizes at that distance are way more than acceptable.

With this fine tuning I was confident I could place the bullet into the media container.

My first attempt was disgustingly unsuccessful as my over confidence allowed me to take a shot in full value highly variable 20 MPH wind. I learned that the 395 HH with my input G& bc of 0.460 does get moved my the wind. No much but enough to just miss my goal.

So that night I cheated. Waiting till about 8:30 PM when the wind died I launched another projectile in that direction.

This one was at 3118 FPS reaching the target media at ~2200 FPS & 4190 FPE.

I took the tools necessary to detect bullet parts and pieces where ever then ended up in the media.

Well!!! So my surprise the hit blew the **** thing apart. I shot into it at 300 yards with the 270 with no adverse effects. However the 338 RUM at that distance busted it up significantly.

I modified it by hinging the bottom so that it could expand like a clam shell upon impact. Filled it with media of the proper wetness, place the plastic lid over the top and wrapped it with a loose fitting bungie strap. All of this to allow it to flex upon impact.

Flex hell... Blew the back completely off, broke off a large chunk of the left side. There was no bullet parts or pieces to be found. The media had sat for a couple of days and had become a bit solid. About a coffee can size area of the right rear remained in chunks. From the front to the rear except for that right rear area the media was as though it went through a blender. I on pick the consistency of the media may be seen on the ground with one of the chunks.

That bullet did more damage at 1126 yards than the 300 Berger @ 2735 did at 300 yards. Steve, are you sure you didn't put some tannerite in those things?

I'm thinkin' that if a frontal shot was taken on a elk at a reasonable distance the hide would be split along its back and brisket.

I'm headed for 1660 yards to confirm bc before going on to a mile and beyond. I'm going to video it this time. I sure would like to see what is happening.

However, I'll first have to rebuild my fixture. Going for more volume this time.:)

Attachments

• IMG_1503.jpg
    IMG_1503.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1505.jpg
    IMG_1505.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 51
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.