Hammer Hunter 277 cal 117 grain 1st yote performance

royinidaho

First set of the season and first yote with the 117 gr 277 Hammer Hunter @ 3500 FPS MV.

Twas a nice windless foggy afternoon when I decided to mess with the FoxPro.

Walked a couple of hundred yards behind the house, placed the foxpro 10 yards from the fence and sat against a fence post and started messing around. The hand held unit pretty much sucks for seeing it even with glasses which I didn't have at the time.

Had my Hangin' Tree Cow Dog with me just for fun. When the call started she came to it then sat down and started "glassing". Quite comical, kinda looked like she knew what she was doing.

I sent some locator howls for awhile. Then silence. Then pushed the sound button 3 times and out came a jack rabbit tune. I went back 3 but didn't return to the locator howl.

Messed around an played a cotton tail, some kind of bird, a flicker and some other stuff.

The dog was still sitting there at about 7 yards, with the call at 10 yards and I look up from the hand held unit and there's a yote strolling up to the call with its eye on the dog at about 15 yards.

Geez it looked a big as a lion... I'm in an awful position with the rifle across my lap. Who wooda figgered a yote would appear?

At my movement it turned tail, with the dog growling going after it. I got the gun up but had both yote and dog in the reticle.

After a bit the dog came back and I chalked another set up to yote training.

I retrieved the call and said to self, "there's Tash. Hey she doesn't have pointed ears!"

Up came the Magpul 700 long stock, remington 721 action, 26" Excalber barrel with Holland QD Brake and Cabelas Covenant 4.5-14 TS-32 Retical with the yote in the center. The shot breaks and the yote does the swirly dance. The dog jumps in the middle of it not quite knowing what's happening and shakes it like a play toy. It had been dead a bit and she was still working it over. This was the Tash's first yote.

The 117 Hammer Hunter did quite well on the yote. The bullet entered infront of the left shoulder and exited behind the rib cage on the right side. The exit wound was 50 cent piece size with entrails hanging out.

The kill shot was 124 yards off hand.

These Hammer Hunters Magpie accurate to 300 yards with and accurate as published bc to 550.

1st Yote 277 117 HH Exit.JPG
1st Yote and Tash.JPG

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts