Hammer bullets stabilization

josip89

Do You ,guys from hammer bullets ,have plan to produce stability calculator for Yours bullets ,something like berger?

I think it would be very helpfull.

RockyMtnMT

Official LRH Sponsor
Do You ,guys from hammer bullets ,have plan to produce stability calculator for Yours bullets ,something like berger?

I think it would be very helpfull.
We use the Miller calculators out there like JBM or Berger. I use sea level at standard atmosphere. I think it is best not to use your altitude to calculate stability. Particularly as the bullets get longer for caliber.

josip89

Ok thanks

Because I looking 181HH for 300 win mag and think they really need 9" twist (I have 10")

Shane Lindsey

Ok thanks

Because I looking 181HH for 300 win mag and think they really need 9" twist (I have 10")
I have shot them in a 10 twist 300 winmag and they shoot very well. As long as it is a true 10 twist, I would give it a go.

Shot them in a 1-10.25 308 win and they did not stabilize. That is in Virginia-close to sea level.

RockyMtnMT

Official LRH Sponsor
Yes 1-10" is a min twist for the 181g Hammer Hunter. Same with all of the listed min twist for Hammer Bullets. The listed twist is a min twist. If a hunter is going to be at low elevation and very cold temp there is definitely potential for problems. We have taken a lot of game with the 181g Hammer Hunter here in MT in bad weather, but we are always at 3000' elev or higher. When I set up my own rifles I choose bullets that give higher than min stability. Particularly if running heavy for caliber. The longer for caliber copper bullets get the relatively more stability is needed. The Miller formula does not take into account for material density. I think when it was developed it wasn't a thought since everything was lead. Nor were they making bullets so long for caliber as there are today. It will take someone much smarter than I am to make a new stability formula that lines up better with modern projectiles. The other thing that should be noted is that the stability is calculated for ballistic stability not terminal stability. Ballistic stability is what is needed to fly with correct orientation. Marginally stable bullets can fly very accurately. No matter what kind of bullet is being used, it will work better for terminal performance if the stability is higher. The higher stability will keep the nose point on after impact so the bullet can deform properly. Marginally stable bullets flying very accurately will have a much higher probability of not performing properly after impact. In my opinion many of the reports of bullet failures are due to marginal stability. I think the same bullet fired with higher stability would have had much better results.

josip89

I will wait until new barrel.
I know You guys will buy them back if they are not good in my barrel,but I am in EU and to me that is problem.
And I also hunting very low and very cold and I dont want suprises (on JBM they calculated stability of 1.2 with very high speed)

I think in very near future we would have better stability calculator.

RockyMtnMT

Official LRH Sponsor
I will wait until new barrel.
I know You guys will buy them back if they are not good in my barrel,but I am in EU and to me that is problem.
And I also hunting very low and very cold and I dont want suprises (on JBM they calculated stability of 1.2 with very high speed)

I think in very near future we would have better stability calculator.
Very low and very cold is the toughest condition for stability. I would run a bullet that shows 2.0 sg.

Trending threads

Recent Posts

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce