Hammer Bullets shoulder design

Have you all found them to copper foul a barrel faster than cup/core bullets? I was told by a fellow shooter who has used em, to strip my barrel of copper every 50 rounds or irregular pressure will be observed by round 70-80. He experienced non if that same issue with traditional rounds. The barrel was not known to copper quickly before switching to hammers. Rifle was quite accurate with both bullet types.
We see less copper fouling with Hammer Bullets than we do from jacketed bullets. So far the only rifles that I have seen collect copper are the Christianson. Otherwise even unfired factory rifles show little or no copper fouling.

We see less copper fouling with Hammer Bullets than we do from jacketed bullets. So far the only rifles that I have seen collect copper are the Christianson. Otherwise even unfired factory rifles show little or no copper fouling.

One Christensen or their barrels in general?

Tight chamber or dull reamer?
I don't know about redoing the whole line just for an outlier, I mean why mess with success? That and personally I hate the idea of standing there freehanding for an hour. Have you considered just bumping your G54 half the distance and then doing that as a custom order? That's like a 30 second edit and your back to turnin and earnin.

We recently had a customer with a tight match chamber in a .264 caliber custom rifle. His tight match chamber is particularly tight and would not allow the shoulder of the 124g Hammer Hunter to enter the free bore, requiring a long jump to the lands and seating too much bullet in the case. As most of you know we cut our bullets to be .0005" over caliber. This is what our patented PDR design allows in order to seal the bore of loose barrels without creating over pressure in tight bores. Works perfectly as designed. What we did to fix this tight chamber problem was to redesign the bullet with the shoulder at caliber and taper the baring surface to the boat tail junction to the .0005" over caliber. This solved the chambering problem and allowed the bullet to be seated out properly.

I am not sure that we will ever run into another chamber this tight again, but the other benefit of doing this with our tangent ogive, is it will allow longer seating before touching the lands. Not sure if it will be noticeable, but technically it will reduce the initial engraving pressure slightly.

We are considering doing this to the entire line of bullets. Question to you all is, do you think this is a worthwhile endeavor? It will take Brian about an hour per program to make the changes, so not a small project. I don't think it will change anybody's existing loads, but I do think it will be a benefit for case capacity for future loading. Other than Brian's time to do this I think it is all positive. Give me your thoughts.

Read more: http://hammerbullets.boards.net/thread/624/shoulder-design-on-hammer-bullets#ixzz5rI4V0h00
If you have a couple of known loads with the original bullet try them with the new one and see what you get. Use opposite ends of the scale, like one of small 6.5's and a 6.5-284. Then try the same thing with a 30 cal, say 308 vs 300 RUM. Or .338 Fed and .340 Wby.

I would not do the whole line, u would be forcing everyone to change and retest their loads. Just add it as another bullet choice for those in need of it. Call it hammer taper
Recheck the BC after the modification, and if it is improved, call the new line of bullets XLR (eXtreme Long Range). Look close at 6mm... I know at least Krieger has 2 bore diameters, and some bullets have had their jackets destroyed in the tighter one.

Does it change the flight pattern of the bullet pitch and yaw ect. If you can market them as a different product line then you may have a money maker from another product for a different group in the shooting world .

One Christensen or their barrels in general?
So far 2 for 2. The 1 st one would not shoot anything well. Customer sold it. Have one here currently and it looks like it will shoot but shows more copper fouling than expected. Not nearly as bad as the previous one. Both rifles came to us unfired.

Tight chamber or dull reamer?
I don't know about redoing the whole line just for an outlier, I mean why mess with success? That and personally I hate the idea of standing there freehanding for an hour. Have you considered just bumping your G54 half the distance and then doing that as a custom order? That's like a 30 second edit and your back to turnin and earnin.
Changing the shoulder dimension and keeping the base dia requires a re design.

You all are speaking with simple reason. I over think this stuff!

Steve
Thank you for reminding me I need to order more .308 181 gr. Hammer Hunters. I've almost burned throgh them testing in my 300 rum and havent even started my 300 win mag's yet ! I want to compliment you on how close the weights are on the bullets . I weighed all 50 and they were within .3 grs.. they all weighed 182.0 to 182.4 Most were the same. Might be my scale but I like the extra grain ! I also like that you can load them same as jacketed bullets . Not true with Barnes. They have proven to be very accurate also ! I can't wait to try them on deer and antelope in Wy. this year. I think they'd be awesome on elk.
Thank you !

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.