H4831SC acting flakey...

FatBoy...

Have any of ya'll found the current lots of H4831SC to be running VERY slow? The last 2 lots I've bought are running between 170 to 200fps slower than last season. On top of that, it seems that despite this powders "Extreme" rating it is wildly temp sensitve, when it's cold instead of hot.

last season I ran 5 different lots and all were outstanding, but it seems something has changed.

Any comments?

FatBoy...

Mine is running about the same as before. I've only tried 2 lots though as I buy a bunch at a time.

FB,

The extreme powder line works by coating the powder grains with a substance that counterbalances the change in oxidation rate of the main fuel when the temperature changes. It sounds to me like your specific lot of powder received too much coating material.

When I encounter problem lots of powder, I always offer to send it back to the manufacturer for testing. Usually they tell me to destroy what I have and they will replace it at no cost to me. 4831sc has been one of the most consistent performers over the past five years in our tests, so I am convinced that you must have a bad lot.

S1,

I have two lots that are running slow. Both lots still shoot well, but I needed 29.75MOA to get my 6.5x284 to 1K Sunday. The Sunday before last this load went to 1K in 26.5MOA. Last summer with different lots of H4831SC went to 1K in 24.0MOA.

Now, I can see the air temp/density accounting for maybe 2MOA from 70*F to 35*F, but there's no way this load is ruuning 5.75moa slower than it did last year without some serious change in retardant. Even with a 70* temp swing,, over 5 MOA is too much.

I'm starting to wonder just how temp sensitive H4831SC is. I have a feeling when it gets back up into the mid 80's,, it'll start working again. I got spoiled with VarGet.

FatBoy...

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.