162gr A-max / H4831SC loads?

Scol

I have a Savage 112BVSS in 7mm Rem. Mag. on the way. I've read on this site that the 162gr A-max is the way to go for shots on deer out to say, 700 yards (I know Len Backus uses them further than that). Any recommendations for working up an accurate load with H4831SC? I've ordered a Lee "Deluxe" 3 die set.

Also, what type of "acceptable" accuracy could I expect from this rig? I'm putting a Leupold 3.5-10x50 tactical scope in Burris signature series double dovetail rings with the offset inserts. Harris bipod (swivel, 9"-13").

I intend to hunt sika deer (similar in size to whitetail) out to 500-700 yards max.

Scol
Can't help with the load but I can tell you that rifle should easily get .5 moa or better with handloads. I've got the same one in 300 WM and if I'm on the ball it will shoot in the high .3's. Those of coarse are the good days.
Chris

winmagman,

Thanks for the encouraging reply. I knew there were a few guys on the site who have that rifle. I'm pretty excited and can't wait to get out on the range with it. Unfortunately Savage rifles don't have that big a profile in New Zealand and it wasn't easy finding a dealer willing to import one at a reasonable price. Hopefully it'll be here by the end of July!

I've got to figure out how I'm going to break in the new barrel. There are so many differering opinions on the subject (clean after each of the first 10 shots vs clean after groups of 5 etc.), never mind "wonder products" (JBs, super moly bore cream etc.) I don't know which way to jump. How did your barrel handle the first couple of dozen shots?

Scol
Mine is about 8 yrs old and at that time I didn't know the first thing about proper barrel break in. I wish I had maybe I could have gotten it to shoot in the .2's.(probably wishful thinking)
Lots of luck with yours.
Chris

Scol,

Since I am a 7mm Rem Mag. shooter and have a load with the 162 AMAX with H-4831SC I will give you a little information on what can be done with this combination.
First a little background information. I am shooting this load in my Rem. 700 Sendero S/S, which is basically their Varmint Synthetic with a long action. I use this rifle for prone F-class shooting out to 600 yds. My load with the 162 AMAX will shoot an honest .25" 5 shot group as consitently as I can hold the rifle. I won't get into group size at 600yds but I will tell you I have shot a 148 - 6X out of a possible 150 - 15X. The target used had an 8" ten ring. This would certainly be in the brisket of a Sika deer.
Let me say though it is not all the rifle or the shooter. To be able to post these kind of numbers you need to use some solid and proven loading techniques. Here is what I use and what I do. The tools are realativly in expensive and the techniques are easy.

What you need:
Sinclair International Catalog (www.sinclairintl.com)
bag of 100 Winchester 7mm Rem Mag. cases
Sinclair Expander Body
Sinclair 7mm Expander mandrel
Sinclair Neck Wall Variance Gauge
Stoney Point Chamber-All Tool w/ 7mm RM modified case
Redding Type "S" Match Neck Die set. with matched bushing. (There is no substitue)
RCBS Primer pocket uniformer
RCBS Flashole uniformer

Procedures:
Case Prep.
1) Run cases over 7mm expander mandrel to fix any dents in case mouth and uniform the necks.
2) Use Neck variance gauge to find cases that vary less than .00015". My experience with Winchster cases has been about 50% fall in this catagory.
3)Uniform the primer pockets & flasholes, debur and chamber the casemouths.

First Load:
1)Use Stoney point chamber-all tool to measure where the 162 AMAX is touching the lands in your rifle. This will be your seating depth.
2) Prime with Fed 215 primers. Use Hornady Reloading Man. starting point for H4831SC and work up using a chronograph. My velocity with a 26" barrel is 3100 fps.

Accuracy Loads (after your cases are fire formed to your chamber):

Necksize only with approriate bushing (consult Sinclair)
Re-Uniform primer pocket.
If cases are to tight in the chamber (4th firing or so) run them through the body die.
Try seating bullets into the lands watching for pressure signs.

Good Luck, let me know how things work out. If ya have any questions shoot me an email.
wink.gif

Thanks McIntosh,

Nice to know I seem to have chosen the right bullet/powder combo. I'll try out the Lee dies for now and maybe consider the match dies when I have some extra cash (the wife is already frowning).

I know all rifles should be treated separately with regard to "maximum" and "optimum" loads, but just out of curiosity, what did you find were the most accurate and maximum loads in your rifle?

Scol,

I get better results w/ R22 when using the 160-162 grners.

W/ 66 grns of R22 I get 3100 fps out of a 24" tube. W/ 66 grns of H4831 I get 3030 fps. The R22 gives me around half inch groups at 100 and the H4831 usually gives about a 1.25" group. My 7mm Mag doesn't like the H4831 but, yours may love it.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Boy I sure am glad I found you guys. Seems like there is an aweful lot of knowledge & experienece piled up in one place. L learnedto handload many years ago while competing in Silohuette shooting with 14" pistols. I started again 7 years ago when I began making an annual elk hunt in Colorado. I've been reloading 7mm Rem mags for a friend and myself and had pretty good luck with 61g of IMR 4350 160g BTSP Sierra. I think we've killed 5 elk with that load. I was shooting a Winchester model 70 22" barrel. I've just bought a used Browning A-Bolt II Stalker in great condition. I think the barrel is 24" but it has a boss screwed on it. My question is what effect will the longer barrel and BOSS have on my loads. I was considering changeing to a Hornady 162g BTSP A-Max. Can someone help me? Any proven loads for this bullet in your library?
Thanks so much,
Lee

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks McIntosh,<P>Nice to know I seem to have chosen the right bullet/powder combo. I'll try out the Lee dies for now and maybe consider the match dies when I have some extra cash (the wife is already frowning).<P>I know all rifles should be treated separately with regard to "maximum" and "optimum" loads, but just out of curiosity, what did you find were the most accurate and maximum loads in your rifle?

[/ QUOTE ]

No worries on the lee dies, you will have better results with the collet dies than the bushing dies if you aren't going to turn... even then, the results are comprable. Order a couple of extra mandrels from Lee. Just tell the lady that answers the phone that you want an undersized mandrel for the 7mmREM mag... they are $5 each. After you get them, polish them to the desired diameter if you decide you want more neck tension... just like swapping a bushing... only cheaper.

All id add would be a redding body die. $20 After your first loading, neck size, and bump the shoulder after each firing and you will do well. Also, you might measure the differance in headspace dimension from your chamber to your brass. if its more than .015" or so, you might want to consider COW fireforming with a false shoulder before the first shot. Your brass life will be nuch better, with no worries of headseperations. Its a cake operation, and definately worth it.

Ill echo the comments above. You've got the right powder picked for this bullet/cartridge combo.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts