H4831 / H4831SC?

MAELTY

Im shooting a 7mm WSM. I really like the H1000 as it is printing .25 to .50 @ 100 yds with 162 AMAX and almost the same with the SST's.

Yesterday I shot a five shot group with H4831 thta was just under .50 at 100 yds. Some fellows at the range said I should try the H4831SC.

Is there a difference? If so, why?

I'm where I'm at largely due to the info I recieved on this site so your input would appreciated.

HI. MAELTY:
The SC in H4831SC stands for "Short" "Cut"
Its' the same powder as H4831 except the grains are cut in half. According to the Powder chart I have gotten off the internet
It is just a touch faster than its Parent. I use this powder in my 270 WSM with great results. For more information go to the Hogdon web site it is verry informative.
Good luck .
smile.gif

[ 11-23-2003: Message edited by: baldeagle713 ]

I don't see any difference when shooting either in my gun, sc or 31. I'd say the main thing I don't like on the 31 is that the extrusions weight around .0028 grams each and weighin in close is tough with that. The SC's are about .0020g each and that's nicer to work with.

One key difference between old H4831 and New H4831 SC "EXTream" line of powders is not burn rate particularily (close enough match)
But the manufacturing process. If one can believe the hype the H4831SC-Ext. version has less temperature sensitivity and therefore loads developed in summer will still produce nearer same velocity in winter etc. That's the key advantage for the hunter.
Hodgdon uses the same process to make Varget
a popular target powder (tad fast for 7MMMag.) just $0.02 rjb

MESH--What scale do you use???

MAELTY--hodgdon says specifically that there is no difference in load data for the two powders.

The SC just packs better into the case--not needed in you WSM--the regular h4831 will give better load density than the SC which settles in better.

rjb--they also make non-SC with the extreme coating--pretty much their whole line is now extreme, i think--at least all of mine is: h1000, 4350, 4831, varget, BM...

JB

4831-sc was developed mainly to make compressed loads with "regular"4831 less compressed.rumor also has it that it easier on throats although i have no data to back this up,i use both and the only difference i can see is that i can fit more "sc" in a given case-my 2 -dave

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts