H-S vs Hougue

vicious7mm

i was wanting some advice. i have a ruger m77 and there is not too many options out there for stocks that i can find. so, im trying to decide between the h-s precision and a hogue stock. both are synthetic with an aluminum block in them. any input is appreciated! thanks!

Can't speak to the Hogue, but I have two HS Precision. They function quite well, but for me are a bit heavy. I have switched to McMillan, more pricey, but IMO, better quality. Particularly like the Hunters Edge. +,- 18-20 oz, and quite stable. Also, are pillar bedded.

In my opinion, theres NO comparison - H-S Precision stocks are in a different league than Hogue!
I have several Hogues lying around, most of them factory take-off's from previous clients... Both pillar bedded and full... None of them are stiff enough to free float the barrel properly, and require glass bedding to make them acceptable, in my opinion.
I've had many H-S stocks, and even took one into combat (my M24 rifle came with an H-S stock) back in 2002-2003, so I know I can depend on it with my life. All H-S rifles have a bedding block that runs the length of the stock, so there are no worries about it being stiff enough to truly be free floating.

As far as stocks go, in my opinion, you can't get better than an Accuracy International AICS. One you buy a H-S, McMillan, or Manners stock that has an adjustable cheek piece and length of pull, THEN you spend the extra cash on bottom metal for detachable mags, you've got as much or (probably) more cash into it than you would've with an AICS, which comes fully adjustable along with a 5 rd detachable mag (10 rd available).

Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.