Gunwerks

I own a Gunwerks RevX in 7mm Remington magnum, I bought it new for $3200. I love the rifle, it fits me like a glove and puts them where I aim. I've ordered ammo from them and I get thru to marketing guy to buy the ammo all the time. I don't understand all the hate. I also would never pay $10K for a rifle but some people would, it's their money.

I'm a detail guy and as an engineer very keen on innovation in this industry. It's not impossible but extremely difficult to find anyone building rifles with the uniqueness of a Gunwerks. Every part is extremely well thought out and hunting in the mountains a lot of that matters. Many great gunsmiths build extremely accurate rifles, but did they design their own actions, stocks, scope rings? The innovation alone is worth it to me. A fierce can be had for $2k but to me there's very little value in terms of what they have actually designed and built. That's just my opinion and I notice those things. Lots of guys don't notice any of it and can be totally satisfied with something for WAY less money. That's cool too.

My buddy recently bought the Gunwerks set-up very similar to the one described by the OP. Due to his high intensity job, he didn't have sufficient time available for the pre and post homework, and went the turnkey route. I had the opportunity to see the rifle in action and get a close look at it on a hunting trip this past season. IMO, when looking at everything that was included in the package, the cost difference was not as extreme as one would think. Out of the box, using the 200 rounds(with recipe) supplied, this already broken in/sighted rifle was consistently nuts on at 1000 yards and capable of shooting better then many experienced shooters can shoot. The workmanship, finish, quality, and function was superb. Considering the materials and labor for the breaki-in, work-up, the niceties of the custom case and other hidden costs that we tend to not take into account, I would peg the actual cost difference to alternative approaches "much closer" then most think......

Is the gun worth the value is very subjective. If $10k fits your budget then it's worth every penny. I have no personal experience but the industry does the talking. Other than price you won't find much negative on the company or their products. Sure you're paying for it, but quality comes with a price. There are other options for a few thousand less but like a previous post, for people who don't have time or the ability to hand load and true up their dope this is about as good as setup as possible.

Bought a slightly used McWhorter in 7 STW. Even though didn't buy from them, I contacted them and they helped me by supplying load work up from several different bullet weights and the original work up for this specific rifle. They push Berger bullets a little, but great help on everything.Best shooting rifle I own and have 6 other custom/semi custom builds. Rifle definitely outshoots me.

I purchased a used 28 nosler for half price with only 14 rounds through the rifle. I took it out for the first time and zeroed at 200 and shot out it out to 800 and their turret system worked perfectly. I was very impressed and definitely recommend if you have the funds or do not have the time or knowledge to work up a load and spend lots of range time.

The big problem is with people spending lots of money on an excellent rifle system but not time at the range judging wind. The only way to get good at reading wind and making good first round impacts in the field on game is practicing.

I have absolutely nothing against gunwerks, they make a fantastic product and they are great people. I do however think that the idea of purchasing a 1000 yard rifle and hunting at said distances without a fair amount of range time has a bit of irresponsibility attached to it. If you do not have the time or ability to practice with your rifle, the solution is not to buy an out of the box long range system, but to simply not shoot at ranges where wind and other factors comes into great effect, sub 450 yards or so.

It's different if a person doesn't have the time to do load developement and tune a rifle, so they buy a set up like this so they can go strait to the range and spend time behind their rifle, which I think is what most people are referring too.

Also, gunwerks does a fantastic job at making sure that people know they need to practice with their rifle, and not just put it strait to the field without practice.

The same idea goes for anyone getting into long range at whatever budget they have to invest, and this subject can turn into quite the rabbit hole ha ha.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts