Gunwerks - Huskemaw Optics Video

huntinco

User
Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good if you use the same load all the time, in the same temperature, and same elevation. What would it cost to have several turrets made for your exact shooting conditions though, and would that get confusing with your reticle set up for a specific shooting condition?

Oh, nice shooting!

Good job, Justin. While I choose to click MOA for my drops, this system would actually work for most of my hunting with little or no drop table adjustments. I feel that type of knob is maligned unfairly too often. No one says it is the best way for every one but it sure would work in many, many situations.

Huntingco,

Nice video. Thanks for posting it.

I just looked at your website. It's very impressive - functionally and design wise. I also really like your "Why do we hunt video."

I have been using a ballistic drop compensating turret cap this fall on several hunts. I love it. Mine is from Kenton Industries, True Trajectory Compensator.

I was just thinking about your comment above:
Looks good if you use the same load all the time, in the same temperature, and same elevation.

I guess that statement could have been made about a drop chart, too. A printed drop chart is what most of us rely on...with a minority using a PDA with loaded ballistics software. So when relying on either a BDC turret cap or on a printed drop chart we have to be prepared to make adjustments for ambient temperature, altitude (as we hike higher in the day) and even pressure changes due to weather.

For my own use, I used my ballistics software to predetermine that the following units resulted in the same change in drops:
  • 20 degrees
  • 1,000 feet
  • 1.2 inches pressure

Each is worth 0.1 MOA at 500 yards and 0.2 MOA at 700 yards and 0.3 MOA at 900 yards for my flat shooting 7mm Dakota cartridge. Pretty easy to adjust in the field for that with a BDC turret cap, won't you agree.

Whether relying on a printed drop card or a ballistic drop compensating turret cap, we must be prepared for slight adjustments. Where I hunt just recalling those few reference points is enough. For others, a more elaborate card system may be needed unless you go the route of the PDA. But I don't feel that reduces the convenience of the BDC much at all. And the ease of simply turning the dial to the yardage marks makes any necessary environmentally based changes very much easier.

Now, having said that, the BDC is not for and the makers tell you it is not for...those hunting from day to day or hour to hour in major changing conditions at yardages well over those stated above.

Huntinco, how about a review of the scope as far as what it compares to optically. I have yet to see, hear, or read a review of this scope as far as how the optics stack up. I'm sure the turret system works but is the scope like looking thru a $50. BSA, or a $500. Leupold, or a $1,500. Nightforce? Thanks for any input you're willing to share.

I actually own one of the gunwerks long range hunters in the 6.5-284. I just came home from an late season elk hunt with John Porter. Killed my 8x5 bull with the 6.5 at 740 yards. I have only had the rifle for about 9 months, and only have about 200 rounds thru it, but i absolutley love it. I do however get absolutley sick of hearing how it only works for one condition. Look guys, they send you two turrets for elevation with the rifle, and if you request they will build you caps until you are blue in the face.

I have never seen a more effective rifle for HUNTING things at extended ranges. I know there are many ways to skin a cat, but as for me, keeping it simple like the gunwerks system does is a valuable asset in the field.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.