Gunwerks

Thank you I'll look into this.
Iam shocked that Gunwerks hasn't gotten a better following !

Neither Gunwerks nor Best of the West have much of a following here...I think jealously has a lot to do with it...lots of people don't like the fact those two companies did more for long range hunting then everyone else combined.

I've owned 2 Gunwerks. They were both extremely nice rifles but I bought both of them used and saved several thousand. Even at a $6000 price point including a nightforce scope they are hard to justify. I've had over 20 customs built and can't say my 2 Gunwerks shot any better or were any better made than the majority of my other customs. They essentially get $5K for labor on those new guns which just isn't justified. Nothing wrong with them at all, just overpriced. It's not like comparing a Porsche to a Honda - they use all the same parts that the other gunsmiths use, they just charge a lot more to screw it all together. Although I've always had good luck with their customer service, I've talked to others who have not and are now sworn off Gunwerks. Ryan Pierce is a great recommendation. His guns really shoot and for about 1/2 the cost. Good luck!

If I was going to put 10 grand in a rifle it would be a switch barrel. Bighorn or impact action with shouldered barrels would be a awesome setup.

You could almost do two bighorns in a full switch barrel setup for 10k. I have priced it a few times as I think this is the way I will go. I will do a TL3 and SR3. The TL3 will be for my bench and varmint barrels. The SR3 will be for my hunting barrels. I priced it at like 11k with scopes. I also have lots of savage barrels I would have a set screw put in so it would act like a shouldered barrel.

I think jealously has a lot to do with it...lots of people don't like the fact those two companies did more for long range hunting then everyone else combined.
I really do not think jealousy has much to do with it, the fact that they are at times literally double the price of the exact same thing that shoots just as good from almost anyone else has more to do with it than anything.

I have no problem with those two companies at all, and I completely agree with you, they have done a huge amount of good for the long range community, but I think anyone that has to budget at the end of the month would rather just let people that have money to burn pay the premium for their excellent rifles, and instead spend their money piecing together a rifle of the same quality for much cheaper, and spend money saved elsewhere.

I will also add, not ALL their products are overpriced....I have purchased a large quantity of Gunwerks once fired brass, it is priced very well and has lasted very long for me. Their GRB actions are priced very good for custom action quality as well.

Beautiful Rifles alright but the reality is your paying huge mark up on a Custom build
Price out the best parts available
Titanium Action&BM-1500.00
Fluted Barrel ———- 500.00
Trigger. ——————- 200.00
CF Stock—————— 700.00
Scope & Mounts—— 3000.00
Labour for build——. 1200.00

Aproximately 7000.00
I'm sure if you shopped around you could shave some off the prices I posted.
Alright I know I'm not a gunsmith but how much actual labor is involved. Is paying someone 1200 justified? I don't know that's why I ask how much machining needs to be done with the parts provided above. I've seen setting actions with pillars and all

Alright I know I'm not a gunsmith but how much actual labor is involved. Is paying someone 1200 justified? I don't know that's why I ask how much machining needs to be done with the parts provided above. I've seen setting actions with pillars and all
I am having my smith thread and chamber a 338 NM and also time and fit a muzzle brake to the barrel, and he is charging me $285, but he is cutting me a pretty good deal. Action bedding seems to run $150-$250, but I'm doing that myself. $1200 would be on the very high end of gun smith fees I would think, on a basic build where just assembly and bedding is needed such as listed. If fabrication of modification is needed, prices could climb quickly. Just from what I have seen.

Depends entirely on how much work you have done,
I'm up to about 3 dozen custom builds and I've had rifles rebarreled, trigger lightened, action trued, squared and bedded, gunkote done for $600
The next one is a complete from scratch 1200, some were 1500 depending on how much metal work,

I'm building a 6.5 PRC on a budget just to see how cheap I could build a semi custom Rifle
Donor-Sako A7 SS 7mm $850.00
Hawk Hill Barrel $410.00
Labour to True& square the action, chamber and install barrel, bead blast To match action. $440.00
Total cost $1700.00
Just so you know those are Cdn $$$

Absolutely the fees are well deserved..Those parts cost a lot
if you mess them up you buy new ones..And then if there's a 6 month wait on something the guy who ordered it is going to be mad and you have to listen to him.
Then let's talk about machines and tooling and hand tools. If someone said " All you do is screw it together" I would run him off and he would never darken my door again!!
Add all the years spent learning the trade..Most guys can't measure threads with a mic and wires...

I have one of the Gunwerks .300 RUMS they did a run with a few years ago built off a Remington 700 action. It has a G7 scope on it. It's a heavy setup, but there is no other rifle I can put in my hands that I have more confidence in. It was a lot less $$$ than the current offerings. I kicked myself in the hind end for not picking up a RevX when they were available.

I don't own one, most likely never will...but I seen a guy that had one at the range last week. I handled it and I really felt good. It was their mountain climber model I think. I like the way they shaped the grip, it felt really good.

I doubt I could tell the difference between a $5k rifle and a $10k...most likely couldn't tell one of a lot less cost.

<1/2 MOA is still <1/2 MOA whether it costs $1,500.00 or $10,000.00...at that point, it just depends on how much you like stroking your ego!

I meet the Gunwerks guys at the Dallas Safari Club event. They answered all my questions and gave me suggestions on a build I was making. Without me purchasing a thing, their customer service answered numerous questions about ammo and bullet selection when I called at later times. I later bought a G7 BR2 at a killer price(steal) and they provided me with a ton of info.

Long story short. Their customer service was great to me. Always available and answered all. questions I had.

My 2 pennies

If you shop around you can find a new gunwerks for a lot less. $4600 on gunbroker for a steel barrel. That's still high but they do keep their value just as well as any other and you will get service to back it up. I think I'm prejudice living in Wyoming though.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.