Gunwerks Muzzleloader

HawkeyeFan

Anyone have any thoughts on the Gunwerks LRM-500. I would love to be able to reach 500 yards with a smokepole and can think of several bucks that would now be on my wall if I could. Truth be told I will probably never be able to afford one, but one never knows. Maybe a custom fast twist barrel on an H&R or TC action and only buying the bullets from Gunwerks is more in my range. It definitely would be different from the TC Hawken I learned to muzzleload on.

HawkeyeFan

I've shot deer at nearly 200 yards with a TC Hawken. I believe my current TC Rifle, although rated for 250 yards, could do 400 with a little practice. The Kentucky Rifle I first shot black powder with was easy to 160 yards — that's the longest range I had to practice with it. I'm sure that would have dropped deer at 250 yards.

With a smoke pole velocities are slower so drop is more pronounced. It simply takes longer to get proficient at long range — but most are quite capable of killing a deer at extended ranges.

expensive- My thoughts exactly considerering there are only a few places they would even be legal. Would be a blast but not real practical in my opinion.

I have a TC Prohunter that with quite a bit of load developement and a ton of pratice is accurate out to 400yrds with good peep sites (scopes are not legal in nv). It has killed two deer in the last two years, one @ 250 yrds and the other @ 296yrds.
Gunwerks useses Parker Productions bullets which you can get directly from Parker. I ordered some lastweek to try out... The twist rates for thier higher BC bullets are 1:20 to 1:28. we will see how good they shoot.

Smokeless muzzle loaders can do it with the right bullet sabot powder combo. I would recommend the savage 10ml2. The problem I run into is that when I am hunting it is difficult to keep my powder dry for long periods. My barrel heats up when I bring it in the truck and cools when I bring it outside causing condensation in the barrel. I would need to fire the gun several times per day to guarantee the type of accuracy needed for a long shot. Our deer muzzle loader season is three weeks long and I would go through a lot of ammo. If you are in a dry climate you may have better luck. Doug's message boards has many guys who have been using very high performance muzzle loaders for a long time, and I doubt many of them have spent anything close to that for a gun. The savages seam to be very impressive weapons capable of much higher pressure and velocity compared to standard in line muzzle loaders, and you can replace the barrels to change caliber twist etc. the same as any other savage rifle. If you decide you don't like the factory barrel you can call Pac-Nor and get a great barrel to your specs. Loosen barrel nut screw on new barrel tighten nut done. More of the barrel manufacturers are making aftermarket barrels for the 10ml2 every year. A good friend of mine had a custom muzzle loader built on a rem 700 action, the problem with that gun was that he needed to load the primers into brass that needed to be cut and sized very accurately. Carrying them in his pocket they would get dinged up and would not shoot well. He struggled with it for a few years then put a 308 barrel on it and uses it as a rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.