Gunwerks G7 BR2 Rangefinder Review

There are a few things to think about. Most rangefinders range about 1/2 of their rated yardage. In the actual field in all conditions a 1200 yard rangefinder is only good to 600. When you really need to take a shot it will fail you. It does not matter if the rangefinder can sing to you if you don't know the range. The world is full of smart phones etc. etc. All will give you the drop with the push of a finger. The beam size of anything less than a terrapin is so large that you can never be sure the beam is not hitting many other things rather than your target. Ask the people who have tried to range targets on flat ground and those who tried to thread trees to hit a very small deer or elk. You will quickly see that rangefinders are all about raw power and beam size. It baffles me when people carry around a rifle that is often 2000.00/4000.00+ and then can't afford a two thousand dollar rangefinder. Even worse, they drive 30,000.00 four wheel drive trucks and ten thousand dollar snow machines. For many years my rifle in my vehicle was worth more than the junker I went hunting in. I guess it is only what you want that matters. Good luck in your shopping.
Jerry1

There are a few things to think about. Most rangefinders range about 1/2 of their rated yardage. In the actual field in all conditions a 1200 yard rangefinder is only good to 600. When you really need to take a shot it will fail you. It does not matter if the rangefinder can sing to you if you don't know the range. The world is full of smart phones etc. etc. All will give you the drop with the push of a finger. The beam size of anything less than a terrapin is so large that you can never be sure the beam is not hitting many other things rather than your target. Ask the people who have tried to range targets on flat ground and those who tried to thread trees to hit a very small deer or elk. You will quickly see that rangefinders are all about raw power and beam size. It baffles me when people carry around a rifle that is often 2000.00/4000.00+ and then can't afford a two thousand dollar rangefinder. Even worse, they drive 30,000.00 four wheel drive trucks and ten thousand dollar snow machines. For many years my rifle in my vehicle was worth more than the junker I went hunting in. I guess it is only what you want that matters. Good luck in your shopping.
Jerry1

Sorry, I have to disagree with much of the info you posted, especially when it comes to the RF's being discussed. The G7 and 1600 are good to and often times beyond their range rating. This has been verified here many times. And their beam divergance is pretty good as well especially for the price. Not saying the Terrapin isn't better, it is, but the others are not the slouches you make them out to be.

Scot E.

I may not have been clear enough on my question, as it really relates to the Leica 1200B vs the G7 BR2. The Terrapin looks like the top of the line RF, but it reaches out a lot farther than I can shoot or need and does not have any ballistics specific compensation. So the issue is not how good other products might be...I've already done that research. Rather, I need to know if the 1200B's pre-set curves are good enough for the vast majority of factory and hand loads to be used out to 600 yards. If so, I'll get the Leica for its lighter weight and convenience; if not, I'll get the G7 for its better ballistics program. Thanks,
Skip
FWIW, the curves on the 1600B should be good to go an about anything out to 600 yards or so. Not sure how that relates to the 1200. I would guess they are the same.

Scot E.

Sorry, I have to disagree with much of the info you posted, especially when it comes to the RF's being discussed. The G7 and 1600 are good to and often times beyond their range rating. This has been verified here many times. And their beam divergance is pretty good as well especially for the price. Not saying the Terrapin isn't better, it is, but the others are not the slouches you make them out to be.

Scot E.

+1. I own a Terrapin, G7, and Leica Geovids, (same beam as the 1600). I have successfully ranged with accurate hits with all three at 1000+ yards. No problem accurately ranging deer at 1300+ with the G7 and Leicas. I have accurately ranged to 2000 yards with the G7. The Terrapins power and narrow beam are very evident, but you can be quite successful with all but a small percentage of the practical ranging situations with the others. IMO.

Greyfox, I agree with most of what you posted but think the part of "all but a small percentage of the practical ranging situations" is a bit optimistic. I see this all the time. I feel there are many errors on shots below 700 from large beams that go somewhat undetected because the mis-range still resulted in a hit on the animal. Example, a shot at 600 yards needs 9.5 moa. if the reported range was 550 the dial up would be 8.5. So the bullet would go 1 moa or 6" low and still result in a hit. Just not as well placed. This is especially so with shooters using rocks to test drops and equipment. A 1 moa miss is close enough to get a smile many times on a 4 moa rock and they may never know their RF gave them an incorrect reading.

If I remember correctly you too have seen some of this now that you have the terrapin to show what a true reading is. You and I are lucky to have the Terrapin and the PLRF10 to use as a checking device. At least it has been an eye opener for me. I know when I head out to range antelope in sage brush the errors of the larger beam units are not a small percentage. That does not mean they will always result in a miss, but we all know an accurate reading in distance is the most important element of any long range shot if we want to place it well.

My point is if more shooters had the chance to see what you and I do with a checker there to point out mis-ranges, they too would see. But since this is such an expensive thing to do it is not practical.

So, I believe this is why so many think just because the unit they have in there hand gives them a number to a long distance it is great. The fact is they would be better off in the long run if it didn't give a reading on far targets.

Please don't take what I am saying as picking on the G7. I have already stated it is a great unit if you want a RF that gives out corrections. I am referring to any of the many large beamed units. I just feel users need to know the weaknesses of large beams and watch for it to be as successful as possible.

Jeff

sorry, i have to disagree with much of the info you posted, especially when it comes to the rf's being discussed. The g7 and 1600 are good to and often times beyond their range rating. This has been verified here many times. And their beam divergance is pretty good as well especially for the price. Not saying the terrapin isn't better, it is, but the others are not the slouches you make them out to be.

Scot e.

you are 100% correct ,,,the g7 as far as i,am concerned is the best unit for most hunters ,,maybe not long range shooters. It is designed for hunters by hunters.

My Range finder is very accurite and I have checked it out with a surveying laser and the near and far modes are spot on and you can tell the difference as it will range twigs etc along with the 19 brands of ammo and the ballistic data was supplied by Sierra and every size you can think of, and I can have read outs in MOA, MIL, CMs or Inches, I have also checked it with a mildot scope and it will go beyond 1300yds

I think you really have to have a some serious ranging issues to pay that much for one especially seeing as you cant change the read out on it

Beautiful IT IS, and very long range but its faults are some of the most important ones,

John

Last edited:
I use a anemometer with the G7 for accurate wind corrections. I went to the G7 because it is much faster than entering all the atmospheric data.and.range into another device and less gadgets to mess with. I have carefully refined my data inputs until i have been able to get corrections sufficient to make first shot kills on marmots past 1100 yards.

I use a anemometer with the G7 for accurate wind corrections. I went to the G7 because it is much faster than entering all the atmospheric data.and.range into another device and less gadgets to mess with. I have carefully refined my data inputs until i have been able to get corrections sufficient to make first shot kills on marmots past 1100 yards.

Thats a Task in it's self, I just wish that the makers of these things would stop and take a look at what we do, and then give us the things we need, Why the heck would they release some thing that would work for all shooters, seems like range finders are the only weak link in the chain, weather you buy Bullets, Scopes, Rifles etc there is something for everybody but range finders you just gotta throw ya name in a hat and see what comes out that why I bought my one because Im not gonna buy an Extra long range Range finder till they get it right and as Some very well Versed people have already said most hunting shots range from75yds out to about 3/450 yds,

john

Almost every big game animal I've shot over the past 39 years has been within 300 yards, and most less than 200. I currently use a .270 WSM for big game and have it set up so a shot on a deer size animal out to 320 yards is a dead on hold for center of chest.
I use the G7 far, far more for prairie dogs and marmots. My passion has become long range marmot hunting and I look forward more to that than elk hunting anymore. For this use the G7 is working quite nicely. I had looked hard at the Vectronix Terrapin, but by time I get done using 3 gadgets and inputting all the necessary information, the marmot is frequently gone.
So far the G7 unit is working great. My goal this year is to break the 3/4 mile mark - 1320 yards. Based on my experiences last year, I expect dead accurate corrections from the G7.

Almost every big game animal I've shot over the past 39 years has been within 300 yards, and most less than 200. I currently use a .270 WSM for big game and have it set up so a shot on a deer size animal out to 320 yards is a dead on hold for center of chest.
I use the G7 far, far more for prairie dogs and marmots. My passion has become long range marmot hunting and I look forward more to that than elk hunting anymore. For this use the G7 is working quite nicely. I had looked hard at the Vectronix Terrapin, but by time I get done using 3 gadgets and inputting all the necessary information, the marmot is frequently gone.
So far the G7 unit is working great. My goal this year is to break the 3/4 mile mark - 1320 yards. Based on my experiences last year, I expect dead accurate corrections from the G7.

That an impressive goal and I hope you get there, You know if they did put the things on the G7 that people have stated it would be at the top of the tree for many years and you would have to spend about $6000 to find something better,

John

It seems the G7 would need just a small bit of tweaking to make it work for an even larger audience, like MIL compatibility.
As to the 1320 yards, I started out last year with a custom 7 mag, purpose built by Quarter Minute Magnums as a long range marmot rifle. The goal was 800 yards. I made 1156 the first day out with the rifle. Ya, I was stoked!
My last day out last year I had one at 1380, but he just would not sit still long enough for me to squeeze off a shot. He kept running between his den and somewhere behind the boulder he was denned under. When he finally disappeared for good, I took a shot at a rock next to the den that had appeared to be similar in diameter to his chest. I hit the left edge of the rock. I am hopeful to make that shot this year.

My last day out last year I had one at 1380, but he just would not sit still long enough for me to squeeze off a shot.

Keep after em Brad, you will get one. Here is a vid of a gopher (size of a pop can) we shot back in 08. Note the crosswind blowing the steel target and that the gopher dropped down as the bullet was in flight.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTDypg4OAFA]1000 gopher.wmv - YouTube[/ame]

Greyfox, I agree with most of what you posted but think the part of "all but a small percentage of the practical ranging situations" is a bit optimistic. I see this all the time. I feel there are many errors on shots below 700 from large beams that go somewhat undetected because the mis-range still resulted in a hit on the animal. Example, a shot at 600 yards needs 9.5 moa. if the reported range was 550 the dial up would be 8.5. So the bullet would go 1 moa or 6" low and still result in a hit. Just not as well placed. This is especially so with shooters using rocks to test drops and equipment. A 1 moa miss is close enough to get a smile many times on a 4 moa rock and they may never know their RF gave them an incorrect reading.

If I remember correctly you too have seen some of this now that you have the terrapin to show what a true reading is. You and I are lucky to have the Terrapin and the PLRF10 to use as a checking device. At least it has been an eye opener for me. I know when I head out to range antelope in sage brush the errors of the larger beam units are not a small percentage. That does not mean they will always result in a miss, but
we all know an accurate reading in distance is the most important element of any long range shot if we want to place it well.

My point is if more shooters had the chance to see what you and I do with a checker there to point out mis-ranges, they too would see. But since this is such an expensive thing to do it is not practical.

So, I believe this is why so many think just because the unit they have in there hand
gives them a number to a long distance it is great. The fact is they would be better off in the long run if it didn't give a reading on far target.

Please don't take what I am saying as picking on the G7. I have already stated it is a great unit if you want a RF that gives out corrections. I am referring to any of the many large beamed units. I just feel users need to know the weaknesses of large beams and watch for it to be as successful as possible.

Jeff

jeff,
I think we are on total agreement. All the G7's calculating capability would be useless if the range was incorrect. Having had the opportunity to work with both the G7 and the Terrapin for several months has been an eye opener. When I first got my G7 I
found that when used in normal mode that the difficult ranging situations that you describe, particularly since I'm also an antelope hunter, readings were difficult or suspect. The same was true with my Leicas. I described in earlier posts that when I used the G7's near/far ranging modes, with practice, the unit would filter interferences like interfering sage or hills and produce a reading that "looked to be right". I had made successful kills using this capability. The problem with using this technique, as you have stated, with the G7 was that there was no way to confirm that the readings that I got were in fact accurate. Now that I have had an extended period to use the Terrapin's narrow beam to evaluate and confirm these readings, I have found that this approach does give readings that are accurate when confirmed with the Terrapin. Using the near/far of the G7 to get these reading in these situations does take some practice handling the controls, but once mastered can be done quickly. For me, I think it's worth it to take advantage of the ballistic calculater which works exceptionally well. The perfect product would be to have a Terrapin with the G7's calculator. IMO.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.