Gunsmith who can true a Weatherby 6 lug mk 5 action?

cab

I'm looking to put together a custom rifle with am wondering if anyone can recommend a smith with experience with truing a 6 lug mk 5 action. I am located in Wisconsin. The smiths I have talked to do not have a mandrel for this and thus aren't able to help. Thanks in advance.

I am curious what you came up with for truing a Weatherby action. It would be a real feat to recut the lug abutments and get all 3 rows to run the same tension on the bolt lugs.

morning, I asked my smithy to true my weatherby action. I was informed

machining step is not necessary on weatherby actions. when manufacturing

a weatherby action the blueprinting and truing r in the process. I just built

a 7mmwbee timmey trigger, hart # 7 contour H&S combat action stock.

145 Barnes bullets 4831SC. very very accurate.lightbulbgun):)

morning, I asked my smithy to true my weatherby action. I was informed

machining step is not necessary on weatherby actions. when manufacturing

a weatherby action the blueprinting and truing r in the process. I just built

a 7mmwbee timmey trigger, hart # 7 contour H&S combat action stock.

145 Barnes bullets 4831SC. very very accurate.lightbulbgun):)

He is correct to a point. the recoil lugs are machined as annular rings and then the relief cuts are made to engage the action lugs (They are done the same way) normally all that cam be done is to lap the surface to make it smooth to aid in operation. (This is not a must)

The rest of the action however, needs to be checked for square. (The Weatherbys are normally very good), but sometimes you will find a bolt face or receiver face that Is not square or true to the bolt centerline like most all actions.

J E CUSTOM

I called Weatherby themselves about installing an Accubrake on my 9 lug mk5 a few months ago and in the process asked them about squaring the receiver and bolt face. They offer this in the custom shop for a hundred and some-odd dollars (don't quote me on that). Hey also have #3 fluted Criterion barrels available for around $540ish installed.

I called Weatherby themselves about installing an Accubrake on my 9 lug mk5 a few months ago and in the process asked them about squaring the receiver and bolt face. They offer this in the custom shop for a hundred and some-odd dollars (don't quote me on that). Hey also have #3 fluted Criterion barrels available for around $540ish installed.

Stay away from their Criterion barrels. And for $540 (at a regular gunsmith), you could have a **** cut-rifled Krieger, Barltien, Brux, Shilen, or most any other quality brand barrel installed. MUCH better barrels.

My experience with a Weatherby Criterion was about as far from positive, as anyone could imagine. Which is why I warn folks about them.

Stay away from their Criterion barrels. And for $540 (at a regular gunsmith), you could have a **** cut-rifled Krieger, Barltien, Brux, Shilen, or most any other quality brand barrel installed. MUCH better barrels.

My experience with a Weatherby Criterion was about as far from positive, as anyone could imagine. Which is why I warn folks about them.

+1

The Weatherby action is about the best factory action made but the criterion barrel is just about on par with other factory barrels (Some good and some not).

For less than $400.00 you can buy a first class custom barrel.

I have made a few criterion barrels shoot after doing some extensive changes to head space, chamber and bedding. But they have not been very consistent barrel to barrel.

Just my experience with them.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.