Gunsmith suggestions to rebarrel my Ruger 77

That sounds about wright ,it will be a little more for stainless and air gaged give them a call they have been around a long time they use too be the go too barrel for custom rifles hope it works out for you if your going back too the 270 you might consider a faster twist than the standard 1-10 especially if you hand load mono bullets there is plenty on this site that can give you some input on a fast twist 270
I've had Clarence Hammond rebarrel a few of my 700's with Lilja and Krieger barrels; lately I've had another guy build a krieger for me. I have a heavy Shilen, which is mediocre, and an older Douglas which is not great, but for 395 plus a stainless premium, I might have Douglas rebarrel my daughters Model 7 with a Mtn rifle contour. The only issue I see is that they don't do 6.5 creedmoor, and I'd rather standardize to the dies I already have.

I've had Clarence Hammond rebarrel a few of my 700's with Lilja and Krieger barrels; lately I've had another guy build a krieger for me. I have a heavy Shilen, which is mediocre, and an older Douglas which is not great, but for 395 plus a stainless premium, I might have Douglas rebarrel my daughters Model 7 with a Mtn rifle contour. The only issue I see is that they don't do 6.5 creedmoor, and I'd rather standardize to the dies I already have.
I've got Lija Proof ,Bartlien ,Douglas , Magowen , Shaw etc I was surprised how well my Douglas Premium air Gaged Stainless shoots in my last build 25-284 1-8 twist light weight 25 in barrel .5 or better if I do my part

I have a Ruger 77R that is about 40 years old. It went through Katrina in my gunsafe, soaking in brackish water and the bore looks like h*ll. I would like to have it rebarreled. It is chambered in .270 Win, and for simplicity would like to keep it in that caliber. Can anyone recommend a gunsmith that might specialize in the Ruger 77? Not looking for a 1/2 inch rifle, but something more respectable than the 4 moa groups it shoots now.
Send the action and bolt to Kreiger. They rebarrel and set the headspace. You'll be very pleased with the outcome. I am.

It'll be interesting to see if the barrel will come off after soaking in "brackish" water. I imagine there could be some issues with the threads on the receiver but maybe not. I like what's said above on sending it to Ruger. My father and I had a 308 with a issue years ago and it had been shot well over 1500 rounds. They sent it back to me with a brand new barrel and a trigger upgrade and all I paid was shipping. Include a letter with what happened and I bet you'll be pleasantly surprised by what they do for you. Good people at that factory in Newport NH where I lived and grew up as a boy.

Lots of good advice here. Folks I trust have very good things to say about Shaw in the last 20 years since they re-tooled. FOR SURE, if you stay with .270 Win, get an 8" twist - that'll give you the capability to use the new high BC bullets being made in .277 thanks to the release of the 6.8 Western. Pair those with RL-26 and the .270 Win is in a new class. It'll still shoot the lighter weight bullets as good as ever.

If you're interested in a larger caliber, and saving a bunch of money, JES can rebore the existing barrel to .338-06, .35 Whelen, or 9.3x62 for $275 total cost and about a 2 week turn time. No relation, just a satisfied customer:

Cheers,
Rex

Attachments

• IMG_1907c.JPG
    IMG_1907c.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 76
I'd call Ruger and see if they would do it like @grouse hinted at. I realize Katrina has been awhile ago, but they might do something pretty reasonably priced for you. If you want a custom barrel it shouldn't be an issue for most gunsmiths.

Last edited:
Clark is close to you.

I don't know if they work on centerfire Rugers but, if not, they will know who does local to you.

Because your rifle was soaking in brackish water, there is a good chance your receiver threads will need to be recut which isn't a big deal with a new barrel and squared-up receiver.

I would also reconsider the caliber choice unless there is some sentimental attachment to that caliber. Any Intermediate or Standard length cartridge is an option assuming you stay with the same case head size. If you handload, a 6.5-06 or 6.5-284 might be a hot ticket for you to swack stuff with.